Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By blue123 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm by zespri

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 16

What recipie do you use for a crusting cream cheese icing, that I can decorate on? I want it to still taste like cream cheese icing....if that's possible. I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

15 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 16

Kathyfs Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-comicon_surprised.gifffice:smarttags" />Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. The cake with the angels on clouds in my photos is this cream cheese butter cream recipe. I love this recipe.

blue123 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 16

Thank you sooooo much for this! And, for all of the typing you did for me! I just made it....AND I LOVE IT!!!! You have been a tremendous help!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:42am
post #4 of 16

I have tried half a dozen cream cheese recipes and still haven't found one that crusts. This week I tried using Lorann cheesecake flavoring and that didn't taste like cream cheese at all. When I get a cream cheese recipe stiff enough, it no longer tastes like cream cheese.

I hope it works for you! As for me, I give up. LOL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:21am
post #5 of 16

I use that same cream cheese recipe. It's always a hit.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 16

MY crusting cream cheese icing using Indydebi's bc

1 1/3 cup Crisco
1 cup cream cheese (softened)
6 packages dream whip
1 + cups half and half (or milk)
(add at least 1 cup and then little more at a time until you have the desired consistency)
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 pounds SIFTEd powdered sugar

Beat Crisco and cream cheese for 10-15 minutes then add all of the other ingredients. Once everything is fully incorporated let mixer run for at least 20-25 minutes for best results.

This icing crust very well, doesn't have to be refrigerated and can be used under fondant.

blue123 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

1 1/3 cup Crisco
6 packages dream whip
(add at least 1 cup and then little more at a time until you have the desired consistency)
1 tablespoon vanilla

Beat Crisco and cream cheese for 10-15 minutes then add all of the other ingredients. Once everything is fully incorporated let mixer run for at least 20-25 minutes for best results.

This icing crust very well, doesn't have to be refrigerated and can be used under fondant.

Oh, Wow! Thank you! I'll try this one, too!

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 16

oh mamawrobin i just love you!!!!! I am going to try this asap!!!

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 16

[quote="mamawrobin"]MY crusting cream cheese icing using Indydebi's bc

1 1/3 cup Crisco
6 packages dream whip
1 tablespoon vanilla

This icing crust very well, doesn't have to be refrigerated and can be used under fondant.[/quote

OMG icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif DO NOT add 6 Packages of Dream Whip....I meant 6 Tablespoons..... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif NOT 6 packages.... icon_razz.gif I"m an idiot... icon_lol.gif

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 16

OOOh!! I really hope this crusts for me!! I only use indydebi's bc and haven't had a bit of luck finding a cream cheese recipe to crust. As a side note, do any of you have a recipe for indydebi's bc converted to chocolate??

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 16

just add 4 to 8 squares (ozs) melted unsweetened chocolate to her regular recipe or (even yummier) to the cream cheese one mamawrobin just posted. You will likely need a tad more liquid. also works really well with white chocolate.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 16

p.s. let the chocolate cool a bit.

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyNic

OOOh!! I really hope this crusts for me!! I only use indydebi's bc and haven't had a bit of luck finding a cream cheese recipe to crust. As a side note, do any of you have a recipe for indydebi's bc converted to chocolate??

Yes I do....I use her recipe exclusively because of heat and humidity issues so I have converted it just about everyway possible....LOL...

I add 6 to 8 ounces of Baker's UNsweetened chocoalte squares. Melted and cooled to room temperature.....you will also have to add more milk when adding chocolate because the chocolate thickens the bc. I usually add about a teaspoon at a time so that I don't end up adding too much. This chocolate icing will crust and smooth just as well as her original recipe...why I love it so much......actually I think the chocolate smooths easier than the original....

I've also added white chocolate to the bc and I've even added white chocolate to the crusting cream cheese version. very good thumbs_up.gif

blue123 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 16

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

1 1/3 cup Crisco
6 packages dream whip
1 tablespoon vanilla

This icing crust very well, doesn't have to be refrigerated and can be used under fondant.[/quote

OMG icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif DO NOT add 6 Packages of Dream Whip....I meant 6 Tablespoons..... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif NOT 6 packages.... icon_razz.gif I"m an idiot... icon_lol.gif

This is so funny! My first thought was, Wow, this is going to cost a bit". hahaha!!!

BTW...you're not an idiot, just very sweet for responding icon_smile.gif

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 16

ok, much delayed response, but thank you both so much for sharing!!! thumbs_up.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #16 of 16

looks like a yummy recipe! Can anyone tell me if it's suitable for piping? Even big piping like cupcakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%