Help-Greenhorn Question

Decorating By Babs1964 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm by catlharper

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 6

This is probably a silly question but what thickness of buttercream frosting does everyone put on their fondant covered cakes? icon_redface.gif
I haven't made my frosting layer too thick for fear of fondant sliding off is that a correct method?
Thanks for suggestions Babs

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6

you'll get a variety of answers. Everything from a thin layer for a crumb coat up to the normal thickness they do for a buttercream cake. It is all personal preference and what you're comfortable with. There is no "right" way, just the way that works for you.

personally i put the same amount on under fondant as if it was a normal buttercream cake. I don't have any issues with the fondant sliding, it sticks to the buttercream either way. (I use a crusting american buttercream)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

I put a little less than normal, but certainly more than a crumb coat. I think I'm in the minority in how much I use. leily is correct - whatever you're comfortable working with. there's no right answer.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your replies ladies I appreciate your wisdom shared here! icon_smile.gif

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 6

I put a nice, generous layer. Most people peel the fondant off of their slice and I would rather then still have a "clothed" cake. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

I do a medium coating. I know a lot of people who do thin crumbcoats but I like a really smooth finish to put my fondant on so I go a bit thicker but not as thick as a final coat of BC because that can cause problems all of it's own.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%