Buttercream Icing...skim Milk?

Baking By Lori1203 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm by tokazodo

Lori1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori1203 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 5

Last night was my first night of Wilton Course 1.

As the instructor was going over the recipe for buttercream she got to the part of the recipe where you can use milk or water. She said she preferred milk. It didn't occur to me during the class but it did when I decided I wanted to practice today...is skim milk alright or does it need to be a milk with a higher fat content?

I'm going to assume (yes, I know LOL) that skim is alright since it can be either milk or water but figured I'd as you experts to make sure. Better safe than sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

I use skim milk all the time

Lori1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori1203 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Sharon. We only buy skim milk so I was hoping that would be the answer icon_wink.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 5

I used to use 2% milk and had no problems. Recently, my family gave up milk. I like half and half in my coffee, so I now use half and half in my buttercream.
I once made the mistake of substituting soy milk for plain milk in buttercream and I will never make that mistake again! The buttercream broke down and it was an awful mess!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 5

I used to use 2% milk and had no problems. Recently, my family gave up milk. I like half and half in my coffee, so I now use half and half in my buttercream.
I once made the mistake of substituting soy milk for plain milk in buttercream and I will never make that mistake again! The buttercream broke down and it was an awful mess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%