Ivory Wedding Cake Help Please!!!

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 5:31am by sweettreat101

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone, i have my second ever wedding cake in a few weeks and the bride wants buttercream.I usually only use fondant and ganache on my cakes and buttercream on my cupcakes.
Does anyone know how i can make ivory buttercream here is Australia? I have not been able to access shortening to use so it will be pure butter and no shortening. I was thinking swiss meringue buttercream, cause its so yummy, and then adding a little ivory colour to it.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
The cake will travel for about an hr in the car and then can be kept at the venue in the cool room till the wedding.
The cake will also have ribbon around each tier too.. any suggestions on how to attach it to the cake without the butter showing through the ribbon?
Sorry about all the questions, but just want to make sure that it turns out right icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much for any suggestions
Rach

10 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not in Australia but a pure butter buttercream will be ivory anyway, not a true white. You can always add just a touch of ivory color if you need but depending on how deep you want the color, you may not need to.

As far as how to keep the grease from getting on the ribbon, there are a variety of ways, but none of them worked for me. I ironed it on to wax paper - didn't work. I put clear contact paper on the back, didn't work. I just tell my customers that the grease will bleed on to the ribbon and make it darker. Otherwise, it's a lot of work and may not work at all. HTH!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 11

I've always just used regular vanilla instead of clear to get ivory. Not sure how dark you need it, but that has worked for me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 11

Yep, me too on the regular vanilla. Works perfectly.

wildwolves Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much ladies puts my mind at ease a little about getting the right colour! Ill give it a go on some cupcakes this weekend and see how it goes icon_smile.gif.
Does anyone have suggestions on what type of buttercream to use?I really love swiss meringue buttercream, its soo yummy... will it hold up ok? The cake will be made on wednesday, picked up on thursday and eaten on friday. Its winter here so about 10-15 degrees celcius most days. icon_smile.gif
Thanks again Rach

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 11

Do you have time to make up a couple of different buttercreams? You could make some cupcakes, ice them and leave them in the sun to experiment. Or put the icing on a dummie cake and see what happens.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11

My suggestion for your ribbon problem is to make an ivory fondant ribbon then place the real ribbon over it. I've not done it, it might not work and it could be quite a bit of trouble if the cake is really large.

wildwolves Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 11

Lisapeps thats a great idea i can try that this weekend and see how they go..
BeanCountingBaker thats worth a try too.. the cake will be quite large but worth a try i think. I really dont want the colour of the ribbon to change if i can help it! icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

I read somewhere on here to pick a lighter shade of ribbon and just lightly pre-grease the back of it, that way it will at least be an even shade and you will know what color that is.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

Is there no ivory coloring you can use in your area?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:31am
post #11 of 11

Use regular vanilla instead of clear vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%