So Food Networked Called Me About Cupcake Wars....!

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm by BarbRaz

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #31 of 58

Hey - I think you should go for it. Life is about doing as many things as you can.

I'd rather regret something I did do than didn't do.

Jos1113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jos1113 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #32 of 58

If they contacted you, apparently you have what it takes, what do you have to lose? Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif (btw it's an awesome show) I always Google the contestants afterwards, great publicity icon_wink.gif

kittyskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittyskakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:06am
post #33 of 58

That is awesome! Congrats! Got for it, I would lol. Even if you don't win there's a fun experience and tons of exposure.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:26am
post #34 of 58

in my opinion...if you can do it...try it. but if you are that busy that you can't make a video, dunno if it would be feasible for you icon_confused.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm
post #35 of 58

Actually I'm so busy that I can't even keep the lawn mowed.

I haven't done anything else with this, mostly because the more I think about it, the less enthused I am. I'm not a cupcake shop, I don't love cupcakes, I don't even like cupcakes that much, and I am not willing to spend a dime to travel to make cupcakes for a stressful competition against people who live/eat/sleep cupcakes, no matter how much exposure it causes. Just...not quite my cup of tea (or cake? haha).

If they call and beg me to come and offer to pay everything, I'd probably consider it, but ...eh. shrug...I'm just not that into it, I guess.

Now if it was a wedding cake challenge, that'd be different!

I enjoyed all the info and insight, though! Thanks

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:19pm
post #36 of 58

you know what...it seems like you've weighed the options and made a good choice thumbs_up.gif kudos to you for not rushing into anything. I would've supported you a 110% thought icon_wink.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #37 of 58

Ditto Step!

amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #38 of 58

Not to be a downer - but I have to wonder if it is for real? Not you your case per se - but I know a gal from my home town that is a hobby cake decorator - just for friends and family and NO cupcakes ever that was contacted. She doesn't even have a business and yet she was contacted? Weird?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:50am
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvscakes

Not to be a downer - but I have to wonder if it is for real? Not you your case per se - but I know a gal from my home town that is a hobby cake decorator - just for friends and family and NO cupcakes ever that was contacted. She doesn't even have a business and yet she was contacted? Weird?

Not so weird if she's posted any photos on the internet! I've heard of more than one contestant who was "found" this way. I think they look for the unknowns, hoping to find someone either really good....or really bad! These show thrive on drama, and I often remember the decorators who have crashed and burned more so than the ones who have blown the competition away.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:35pm
post #40 of 58

CONGRATULATIONS!

There is no reason to believe it isn't legit. And there is no reason to NOT give it a shot. You might be kicking yourslef if you hadn't at least tried - imagine what being on air will do for your business, whether or not you win! thumbs_up.gif

You do incredible, clean work.

I say, not only stick closely to the content of what other contestants have put in their videos, but perhaps add a very cool cupcake display in the background. It seems the real winners on that show in the end are the displays - after you've been chosen for taste, that is.

Go for it! You have my best wishes!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvscakes

Not so weird if she's posted any photos on the internet! I've heard of more than one contestant who was "found" this way. I think they look for the unknowns, hoping to find someone either really good....or really bad! These show thrive on drama, and I often remember the decorators who have crashed and burned more so than the ones who have blown the competition away.

Um, also not so weird seeing how popular CC is with Food Network and that ChefStef is a prominent member...

I was contacted for TLC's "Ultimate Cake Off" and I only bake for friends and family. Obviously, since I have never worked in a bakery, I didn't make the cut icon_eek.gif - but it was exciting as H*** making the video submission!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #42 of 58

Well, wow...what a huge compliment to you! Even if you don't do it you should feel honored that they called. Your work is tremendous and I am sure they recognized that fact.

Now, as for that show, I don't care for it. I will watch it if it's the only thing on but I think the judges can be a little bit on the nasty side. Maybe they do that for viewers? I don't but I don't like it. I really don't care to watch Florian Bellanger. He comes off so arrogant and that can ruin the show for me.
Yeah, it's a competition but come on....you don't have to be such snots to the competitors.

Sorry about that rant...lol

Anyway, I agree with the others. Watch several episodes and decide if you think you might like to do it and if you do then go for it. Just being on the show would be good advertising too right?

Again...Congrats!!!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #43 of 58

I was contacted by them about the first season auditions. I sent a video but didn't get chosen. After watching it on TV I don't know if I could have managed it. I think it would have turned me into a major stress case! If you do the video make it upbeat and ty to make it memorable. Good luck!

m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

I really don't care to watch Florian Bellanger. He comes off so arrogant and that can ruin the show for me.
Yeah, it's a competition but come on....you don't have to be such snots to the competitors.

He was a guest chef at the FCI when I was a student and I have to say, he is an excellent and patient instructor. Loved learning from him and he's extremely talented. Maybe he comes across as arrogant because he's french? I dunno, just throwing it out there- I know plenty of folks that are french and I think they can come across as rude or arrogant. Perhaps it seems rude but the chefs I have worked for do not sugarcoat anything- if something you made is subpar or downright sucks, they tell you so. Plus it makes for better tv icon_smile.gif (thinking of Simon on American Idol)

I tried watching cupcake wars and I agree, the show is bad. I feel like Food Network is following the same format as MTV- they don't show traditional cooking shows...it's all reality tv and they now add a second station, "The Cooking Channel" to show ACTUAL cooking shows (like MTV added MTV2 when they made the switch from videos to reality TV). It's great advertising for small businesses though!

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #45 of 58

I enjoy the show and it is awesome that you were called. But do what's best for you icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by m420chelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

I really don't care to watch Florian Bellanger. He comes off so arrogant and that can ruin the show for me.

He was a guest chef at the FCI when I was a student and I have to say, he is an excellent and patient instructor. Loved learning from him and he's extremely talented. Maybe he comes across as arrogant because he's french? I dunno, just throwing it out there- I know plenty of folks that are french and I think they can come across as rude or arrogant. Perhaps it seems rude but the chefs I have worked for do not sugarcoat anything- if something you made is subpar or downright sucks, they tell you so. Plus it makes for better tv icon_smile.gif (thinking of Simon on American Idol)

I tried watching cupcake wars and I agree, the show is bad. I feel like Food Network is following the same format as MTV- they don't show traditional cooking shows...it's all reality tv and they now add a second station, "The Cooking Channel" to show ACTUAL cooking shows (like MTV added MTV2 when they made the switch from videos to reality TV). It's great advertising for small businesses though!

ok, I will give him a second chance... icon_biggrin.gif
funny you mentioned Simon from American Idol because I almost mentioned him in my post...ahahaha
I do like Simon for some odd reason though..ahh well, I am off of here now to make chocolate roses.
Have a great day!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #47 of 58

'a prominent member'...? icon_smile.gif aww...you're sweet. I don't think of myself as a prominent member since I'm hardly ever here any more. The cakes take me away, lol and thanks for the smile.

I did ask the guy, "...you realize I'm not a cupcake shop? How did you find me, anyway?" and he said, "Research. We saw you do great cakes, and that you also do cupcakes, so..." I'm still quizzical because everyone else who did vids are like major cupcake shops who do major quanity. Most I've ever done is like 200 for a wedding and 800 minis for a festival.

ah well, I probably wouldn't do so great on there. If they got harsh in criticizing I'd probably be like, "oh, whatEVER. You can bite me if you don't like my cake." haha

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #48 of 58

I wish you well.
Focus on the taste of your icing and cake.
Wow factor for your display.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #49 of 58

Well maybe you should call them back and tell them that you are honored, but that cupcakes aren't your thing. And that if they ever want you for a wedding cake, food network challenge, that they should call you!

Seriously though, that is exciting!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

'a prominent member'...? icon_smile.gif aww...you're sweet. I don't think of myself as a prominent member since I'm hardly ever here any more. The cakes take me away, lol and thanks for the smile.

I did ask the guy, "...you realize I'm not a cupcake shop? How did you find me, anyway?" and he said, "Research. We saw you do great cakes, and that you also do cupcakes, so..." I'm still quizzical because everyone else who did vids are like major cupcake shops who do major quanity. Most I've ever done is like 200 for a wedding and 800 minis for a festival.

ah well, I probably wouldn't do so great on there. If they got harsh in criticizing I'd probably be like, "oh, whatEVER. You can bite me if you don't like my cake." haha

That would make for good TV! Too bad they would probably edit it out icon_rolleyes.gif

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #51 of 58

This is a "once in a lifetime" change!!!! Do not pass it up. If you do, you will probably end up kicking yourself in the butt b/c you did not pursue it. This is really an honor! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Start practicing NOW icon_smile.gif

GOOD LUCK!!! We are all rooting for you!!!!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #52 of 58

One important thing I noticed (in case you decide to do it) is that the person whose display they like the best is often the one who wins, even if the flavor and the design of the cupcakes are clearly not as good. Bummer.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #53 of 58

I can't stand that show... mainly because they commentaor guy is a complete douche. He irks me to no end. I watched the on where the crazy lady emptied a bunch of cigarettes into her cupcake batter and nearly vomitted and haven't watched it since.

*gag*

BUT... it is cool to be called. I was called for the Ultimate Cake Off thing and didn't make the final cut (I am not a good on camera type at all). Still cool to be called though.

icon_biggrin.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #54 of 58

This was a long thread to read, but I was interested to see if anybody had my thought process. Does it seem strange to anybody that the FN is making calls to people for this show? Wouldn't you think they would have every Tom Dick and Harry that has a cupcake shop or breathes cupcakes standing in line throwing their cupcake portfolio at them to be on this show? Have they exhausted all their applicants and are now having to make cold calls to promote the show? It sounds to me like the show is about to go belly up and is grasping at marketing ideas to keep it afloat. Chef_Stef you have amazing cake decorating talent. Very clean and very pretty. No doubt you'd do well. But if you are not into cupcakes, then I say don't do it! I have seen this show many times and stuff like this MAKES you or BREAKS you. It's a risky decision. However, that is a cool phone call to get!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #55 of 58

When the Food Network calls - you answer! PERIOD! Your work is beautiful and speaks for itself reguardless of your results from the show, you have a great business, this oportunity (sp?) could only help you.

Good Luck!!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #56 of 58

When I was in pastry school ( just graduated a few months ago) my chef instructor presented me with an e-mail from the Food Network requesting participants for an upcoming show called Cupcake Wars.

My chef knew that I just adore cupcakes and was always trying to incorporate them in school somehow. Even though I was quite honored that my Chef instructor thought enough of me and my work to think of me, truth be told, I didnt see how i'd fit in. I didnt own a shop or even have a licensed kitchen......I guess I pictured the show being very differently in my head.

Whats the saying...."if I knew then, what I know now...." Ive seen the show a few times and there are quite a few participants that dont even have a shop. Oh well, live and learn.

I am now the full time , not to mention the only, caregiver to my 78 year old aunt who has advanced Alzheimers. I barely make it to the bathroom on time.....forget about finding an entire day in my schedule!!

To the OP, that is quite an honor ( IMHO) and if you're able to , you should participate. GL

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndHappy

When the Food Network calls - you answer! PERIOD! Your work is beautiful and speaks for itself reguardless of your results from the show, you have a great business, this oportunity (sp?) could only help you.

Good Luck!!

I diagree with this. Depending on the editing (and there are some CC members who have been on the FN and other cake shows that can speak better to this), you may not come out looking so wonderful.

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm
post #58 of 58

I met Florian Bellanger a couple of weeks ago in Miami. He is the chef at a new restaurant called The Chocolate Lounge. My husband asked the waiter to have him stop by our table and he did. He was so nice, nothing at all like his "persona" on Cupcake Wars. He told me about the upcoming season and everything that we had to eat was wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%