How Do I Charge For Delivery That Is 80 Miles Away? Help!

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm by leah_s

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I just received a phone call from a customer who wants a luau cake for 2 weeks from now to feed about 50. She asked if I deliver, and when I found out where to, I realized it was 80 miles away! Basically, going through DC and the beltway out to the ocean! How do you guys charge for delivery? Is it by time spent in car, or by mileage? What are your rates? I've never had to deliver that far. Any tips would be great!

5 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 6

$1.00 PER mile, ROUND TRIP! Maybe she, (or a friend) could meet you half way... Good luck!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

$1.00 PER mile, ROUND TRIP! Maybe she, (or a friend) could meet you half way... Good luck!

Sounds good to me! Charge per mile - and you'll know the round trip cost when you get there.. If you mapquest it.. it should give you an esitmate to give to her $$!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

I charge .70 a mile/but when I'm stuck in traffic and use most of the money on gas, my TIME ends up being free... So I agree charge at least $1.00

icon_smile.gif yvette

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 6

IRS rate is 50 cents / mile for business.

BUT -- that is just for gas, maintenance.

They figure your employer is already paying you for your TIME!

Since you are your own employer, you MUST also figure in the COST of your time.

If you say your time is worth $12/hour and it takes 5 hours to do the delivery (based on avg. of 40miles/hour in DC/Beltway traffic and set up time at venue), they you have to make sure you get at least $60 for your time.

---
so -- 160 round trip miles at IRS rate = $80 + $60 (5 hours @$12/hour) = $140

160 miles @ $1/mile = $160.

So in this case the $1/mile works, but just barely.

---
But, if your hourly rate is higher, then will it?

--
and yes, it is always charged round trip.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 6

I charge $1.25 per mile, round trip, with a $50 minimum for in town deliveries.

HOWEVER . . .

you also have to figure your lost opportunity cost. What's your average sale for a party cake? If the delivery on this cake takes away your ability to sell another cake that day, then that's the lost opportunity cost of the delivery. In this instance my delivery fee would be about $450 - probably more than the cost of the cake.

Basically, I would not even consider delivering a 50 serving cake. That's a pickup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%