Mother/daughter Cake Business Name??

Business By Regina_Mendoza Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 3:52am by cakesdivine

Regina_Mendoza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regina_Mendoza Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 5

My mother and I are having such a hard time with coming up with a name for our business. icon_mad.gif We just started doing cakes not too long ago but would like to advertise and create business cards. We are doing cakes from our home and are trying to get our business launched. Please help! Give me anything you've got. Thanks so much. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

Have you looked into the laws of selling baked goods in Texas? It is a no no to sell them out of your home kitchen.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

Houston is one the most saturated places for cake businesses. It is very hard to get your foot in that door, even more so because you are not licensed. Harris Co. HD is very particular and if you are inside the city limits it is even harder because then you are dealing with Houston city HD. There are now so many venues in Houston who provide all the food and cake and those that don't if they are high end they do not allow cakes from unlicensed sources. Getting a DBA with the county, and getting a sales tax number is not enough to say you are a food establishment. You must jump through all the local HD hoops (and believe me in Houston there are MANY) before you can even open your doors. Oh, and those doors cannot be attached to your home in any way shape or form.

There is a group of Texas bakers trying to get that law changed. Become a part of the movement! Visit www.texascottagefoodlaw.com to see how you can get involved! 2011 is right around the corner and we need an army icon_smile.gif

Regina_Mendoza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regina_Mendoza Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 5

Wow...didn't realize. thanks for all the info and I will take that into consideration. I definitely do not want to mess with Houston PD. LOL

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 5

Not PD, HD (Health Department). But they are the food police...LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%