Best Method To Make This Flat Decor For Cake

Decorating By schwammrs Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 9:10pm by cakealicious7

schwammrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwammrs Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:25am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have some ideas on how the greenish/whitish leaves and flowers in the photo below might have been made? Or rather, how I can recreate something similar? icon_lol.gif

The methods I've brainstormed so far, and my problems with them:

1) Chocolate/Candy Melts:
I could pipe the darker outlines, then fill in with white and green. But I don't think the transition from white to green would be as fluid as in the picture. And the even bigger problem, the finished pieces would be sitting on a cake outside in 75-90 degree heat, and last time I tried making shapes out of white chocolate, they were flopping over in my air-conditioned house. I have no idea how I'd make them survive the hot outdoors! Are there melts that aren't as melty as white chocolate?

2) Royal Icing Floodwork:
Haven't ever tried this before. I assume it's a similar idea to the candy melts method. Can anyone tell me how royal icing would fare in hot weather? And again, I'm not sure I could get that fluid color change -- perhaps if I pipe a white glob in the center, green around the outer edge, then use a toothpick or something to mix where the two colors meet up...

3) Frozen Buttercream Transfer
Another method I've yet to try, and again -- without an airbrush -- I don't see how I can get the colors to fade from green to white. And again, the melting problem...

4) Marshmallow Fondant
Unless I can do some REALLY tricky kneading, I don't see how I'd get the color change. But let's forget that for a moment. I could just make them green, then pipe some brown accents on them. But does MMF eventually get stiff if I just let it dry long enough (mine has always drooped)? Or would I need to add some tylose/gumpaste/something?

Or other ideas on how I could make this happen? I've even considered baking some sugar cookies and then doing royal icing floodwork on them -- at least I know the COOKIES wouldn't melt -- but then I'm not sure how I'd get the cookies to stick to the sides of the cakes...

Hmmmm, what do all you smart cakers say? icon_smile.gif

P.S. Isn't the cake fabulous?!? It was made by "Truli Confectionary Arts" - I found the photo on theknot.com
LL

10 replies
annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:45am
post #2 of 11

The cake is gorgeous.. the green is most likely air brushed.
I would make the shapes out of gumpaste let them dry and harden then paint with gel color let that dry and then brush powder color on it to give it a more soft blend look.
Hopefully an expert will reply to your post and give better suggestions ,, i am just a newbie like u..
good luck and post pics of ur cake.
icon_biggrin.gif

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:20am
post #3 of 11

I would make the flowers out of gumpaste too and hand shade with a blend of petal dust to make that awesome green.

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:41am
post #4 of 11

Gorgeous cake! Ditto the gumpaste... I would also use petal dust for the green and then a food color marker for the black outlines.

schwammrs Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you thank you for your notes! thumbs_up.gif There definitely seems to be a consensus, so I'm off to go find some gumpaste and powder color/petal dust! icon_biggrin.gif

schwammrs Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11

I now know that I love gumpaste! The flowers and leaves dried nice and stiff -- and quickly, which was good since I was RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!

I didn't end up doing a white-to-green transition. It just didn't seem to fit with the flower and leaf shapes/sizes I wanted to make, though I do still love it in the ones shown in photo above.

Hmm, was going to add an attachment here showing what my flowers ended up looking like, but I'm not sure it's working -- doesn't show up in the preview. There's a photo of the whole cake here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1795428

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 11

BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 11

you did a great job! I agree with the others - gumpaste painted with petaldust and food color markers icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 11

Beautiful!! It's especially rewarding to create such an awesome cake for family...isn't it?! That's a gift they will cherish.

agogolak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agogolak Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 11

Gorgeous! How do you get the gumpaste flowers/leaves to stick to the cake? And are the green lines on the actual caked piped by hand?

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 11

AWow such a good job, beautiful!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%