Anyone Ever Have A Groom-Zilla???

Decorating By RobzC8kz Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm by JulieMN

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 14

I'm dealing with one right now!! Never knew they existed!!

13 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 14

Is he ''yours''??? Or a customer? Fill us in! icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

RobzC8kz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 14

He's a customer! He's got some very specific ideas, and expects very precise results. And he's burned through about 4 other decorators already because no one can meet his exacting standards!!

He works for a bridal shop next to my bakery. We've been trying to get his boss to send us referrals since we opened, but she flattly refuses. Well...apparently, the bakery they refer all their brides to has already been shot down by the Groom (he didn't approve of their techniques), so they decided to try me now. I'm hoping if I can win this guy over, we'll win over his boss (not likely...but I'm hoping).

What he's asking for is NOT difficult by any stretch of the imagination. However, I did do a dry run last night just to work out all the kinks before I actually do the real thing! Learned a few good lessons last night. Now I'm ready to execute!!

I sent him pics of the cake...waiting to see what he says. I'm not 100% thrilled over it...I mean, it's a practice cake to work the kinks outta the design he wants. But we'll see what he says! He's been a pain so far.... Not expecting differently.

cakes47 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 14

OOOOOOOOOO This could get very exciting!! I do hope you get him but that
he isn't too much of PITA!!! icon_lol.gif I also hope your ''neighbor'' will start directing
some business your way too. icon_wink.gif

RobzC8kz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 14

I'm waiting to see what he says. His 50% balance is due tomorrow on the wedding cake. Let's see if he tries to weasel out of it!

cakes47 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 14

Good Luck!! Hope he pays up; you'd be sure to get glowing referrals from him
since he's so picky!!! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 14

Oooohh! Let us know what happens next!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 14

What kind of cake does he want? I didn't think that guys got too picky over the wedding details.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

What kind of cake does he want? I didn't think that guys got too picky over the wedding details.

icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Oh some do !!!

I feel for you and wish you the best. Put a pick of the practice cake please? What are you making? I hope you meet all his expectations and just knock him over with fabulous details!!

RobzC8kz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 14

UPDATE!

He picked up the practice cake was VERY satisfied with my work! However, after seeing his idea in the "cake," he wasn't very happy with what he had chosen. Soooooo... We reworked the cake into something that I suggested, and we are full steam ahead, all systems go!

Whew!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 14

Good for you Rob...It is very satsifying that you can make him the cake he is wanting when nobody else could!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, I have had a Groomzilla...and wow, I was so unprepared for it. I'd meet with him and his fiance and I'd show them the three designs and then she would point at one and he'd say "hmmm, I don't think that will work, I like THIS one" which, of course would be the exact opposite of what she had picked. Now we worked his whole wedding so this was every detail from invites to favors to flowers to cake...an amazing pain in the butt to work with but at the end of the wedding he presented us with an actual gift and thanked us over and over again!

Now here's the funny thing, should you be feeling sorry for the wife...she runs the show now and he's at her beck and call. LOL! Guess he sensed that the wedding was going to be the last chance he had to decide anything for himself! LOL!

cakes47 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 14

I'm so happy he likes your work (what's not to like!!). This will surely get
some referrals from the bridal shop ..... or at least him. icon_smile.gif
Do you have a pic of ''his cake design''?? Would to see it. Also hope to
see a pic of the final cake. icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 14

Sounds like you handled this very well......now on to the real cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%