Floral Wire Fraying At Ends

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 12:58am by BlakesCakes

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #1 of 13

How can I stop this? I use the covered floral wire to build gumpaste roses on and the end of the wire keeps fraying. I wouldn't worry so much about it if it didn't affect the end result, but it kinda does. You know that little ball of gumpaste you slide onto the bottom of the flower when you're finished? I forget what that part is called. When I have to push that past the part of the wire that's fraying, it makes the hole in the gumpaste bigger and then it's harder to form it nicely to the base of the flower.

I hope I was clear enough. Does anyone use uncovered wire for gumpaste flowers? Or some advice to stop the threads from fraying? I tried just using some tape but that didn't work so well.

12 replies
jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 13

I use uncovered for my base stems, then I use paper covered wire for my petals. Are you using paper covered or fabric covered? I always had that problem when I used fabric covered, but paper covered has been awesome!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 13

By covered, do you mean the Japanese paper-covered wire or that cloth-covered wire you buy at hobby stores?

I just snip a wee bit off the end if the paper starts to fray. I love that paper-covered wire.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 13

You could wrap some floral wire around the tip of the wire to keep it from fraying. See if that helps.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricesPieces

You could wrap some floral wire around the tip of the wire to keep it from fraying. See if that helps.

Did you mean to say floral TAPE?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 13

can they just be dipped in a little elmer's glue and let dry before you work with them?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 13

Can you just cut the end of the wire off? I think it's the rose hip you are trying to add. I use the paper covered as well, never the cloth covered.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 13

Ahhh, I've never even heard of paper covered wires! I've only used the fabric/thread covered wire from Michael's. That's the only cake place I have around here.

I have considered just getting uncovered wires and then wrapping them with floral tape when I'm done with the flower. I heard a trick somewhere on here where you heat up the end of it and then while it's still hot, insert it into your gumpaste cone/base for the rose. The gumpaste melts to the wire and you're done.

And sweetflowers brings up a good point. The wire I get comes in long strands, so I have to cut them. That's where they are fraying. Also when I'm working on it, I stick it into a block of styrofoam for them to dry. I think it's the process of taking them out of the foam and back in a few times that's causing it to fray. I've got some uncoated wire, I think I'll experiment with that for a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm glad I asked because I've never heard of paper covered wire before! I heard about a cake store that's about an hour or so away from me that I might drive up to on my next day off. I'll add that to my list of stuff to look for!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #9 of 13

I order the various sizes of Japanese paper covered wire from globalsugarart.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 13

I got the paper covered wires! I ventured to a cake shop today that's 40 minutes away from me. Got a lot of stuff included the paper covered wires! I'm gonna try them tonight.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 13

If you live in the back of beyond and don't have access to a store that has paper-covered wire, you can buy it off the web (eBay, Amazon, many other sites). Just search on "mizuhiki"--that's what the Japanese call the craft that they do with this wire (also called mizuhiki cord, although I just noticed on eBay someone spelled it wrong and listed it as mizuhiki core).

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 13

Mizuhiki cord comes in all colors--white, pastels, rich colors, foils, ..... (sorry I forgot this in my previous post)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:58am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

If you live in the back of beyond and don't have access to a store that has paper-covered wire, you can buy it off the web (eBay, Amazon, many other sites). Just search on "mizuhiki"--that's what the Japanese call the craft that they do with this wire (also called mizuhiki cord, although I just noticed on eBay someone spelled it wrong and listed it as mizuhiki core).

This type of cord-- rice paper, that is tightly wound, starched to give it stiffness, and then colored--isn't what we're talking about when discussing "paper covered floral wire". I wouldn't recommend it because in many appliciations for gum paste flowers, there is moisture (water or gum glue) involved in construction.

The paper covered floral wire comes in many gauges from thread fine (36,33) to very thick (16,1icon_cool.gif. The reference to "Japanese" is just that a lot of it comes from Japan (Sunset & Horizon brands) and some feel that it's the best quality wire.

If you google paper covered floral wire, you find many sources.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%