Mmf Gritty?

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm by dianab

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making marshmallow fondant in the kitchenaid. After mixing in sugar, the dough hook is spinning around a glob of fondant, leaving mounds of tiny balls and pieces in the bottom of the bowl.... i feel like the glob of fondant isn't even half the batch I made. I tried to knead in crisco to some of the "crumbs" from the bottom and they began sticking to each other but not quite the consistancy of the glob... I then tried to knead the big(ish) glob with the smaller glob and now its just not working at all! falling apart... tearing...

Is this fixable??

4 replies
dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

When I make MMF in my kitchenaid I first grease the bowl and dough hook with crisco. I then make sure the marshmallows and water are heated in the microwave enough so that after stirring, it is a thick liquid not a sticky glob. I quickly pour and scrape the marshmallow thick liquid into the kitchenaid bowl. Then I add about a cup or two of sugar and mix it real well. I add a little bit of sugar at a time and I mix it well on a very high speed so all bits of sugar are incorporated into the mixture. I still may have bits of sugar at this point but as I add more sugar it will thicken and the bits will get incorporated in if I mix on high speed for a good 30 secs to a minute. If I need the MMF to have color I will add the color when it is still sticky and needs more sugar and can be mixed in easily. I keep adding a little bit of sugar mixing well until it starts to become dough-like and I can touch the dough without it sticking to my finger.

The dough is usually still warm. I then grease my counter and my hands and I scrape the dough out and knead it a little. I add crisco and sugar to until I get it to the right consistency. If it seems to act rubbery you will need to add more sugar.

I hope that helps. It has been trial and error for me, but I now seem to get it right almost everytime now!! Hooray!

dianab Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 5

I didn't read your post well, you were asking if your gritty fondant can be fixed. I would try the following... scrape the contents of your MMF into a microwavable bowl add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water and reheat to get it somewhat melted. Then add it back into your kitchenaid and mix well and a very high speed. Start adding sugar as you need it like my earlier post.

I hope this helps.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 5

This is why, after one attempt, I never made MMF in the mixer again...always by hand. That way I can FEEL with my hands what is going on and add sugar/crisco as needed as I go along. Once you have kneaded enough it will all smooth out and then you store it overnight, wrapped well after greasing with crisco, and the rest of the sugar crystals disolve. Knead again in the morning after microwaving a bit to soften it up and you will have a very smooth MMF.

dianab Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

I know, most people seem to not like the kitchenaid for MMF, but I just didn't have very much luck by hand. I find it A LOT easier to use the mixer and it is definitely not as messy! But, it took me a few tries before I got it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%