Wilton Mum Cutters

Decorating By LisaMarie86 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 1:21am by sweetteacher

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 9

Hello I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Wilton Mum cutters that come in the fondant and gumpaste course kit. The middle of one of mine does not cut. Has anyone else had issues with that?

I contacted Wilton and they are playing it off as it was designed that way. My WMI and the other girls in my class didn't have issues with theirs. I sent an email back to them.

They implied that I didn't know how to use a cutter in their response to me. Ummm I'm not an idiot I know how to use a cookie cutter etc.

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 9

That sucks that Wilton is saying that because, they have infact acknowlged there is some issues with it.

The suggestions I have seen is roll your gumpaste out on powder sugar/cornstarch and then flip the cutter over, with the gumpaste still attached and run your fingers over the edges. Another thing I have read is to roll the rolling pin over the cutter before lifting it from the board.

You can try those and see if they help. I am sorry you are having trouble with it. I know how frustrating it can be. And I actually like the old daisy cutters for the daisy, rather than the mum cutter. Not sure if you can use those for the mum and get a close look or not.

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

I just called after my second email went unanswered and talked to a different girl and she says she is going to send me new ones but doesnt have a clue what the mum cutter even is. She wants me to take a photo and send it in but I know it looks so close to the daisy cutter that they might be confused and told her this and she didn't get it. I don't know Ive been dissapointed with the contact Ive had from them.

My WMI wants me to become an instructor and this makes me not want to. I know its a totally different department but its the same company and it reflects poorly on them in my opinion.

She basically told me I was lying and didn't know how to use a cutter. If I could buy it separately I would but you cant do that. I know I'm probably taking this too far but I believe customer service should be your number one goal.

tg1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tg1979 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 9

Wow that really sucks on their part. I think I'd have to send in a complaint to the manager if I were you.

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 9

Im going to wait and see if anything happens but if not tomorrow I am calling and asking for a manager. I noticed it was messed up two weeks ago yesterday and my instructor said she would look into finding a replacement and didnt have luck so told me to email them and I am frustrated to much by it. Doesnt seem right to me.

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 9

I just bought my fondant & gumpaste kit from JoAnn's in Avon, IN. Hope I don't have trouble like you did!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 9

I've heard good things about Wilton's customer service, so this really surprise me. icon_sad.gif

Another thought would be to go to the Wilton Message board and post there to see if anyone can help you?

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 9

I got an email back and they are going to send me new ones. I hope that they arent messed up. She was apoligetic about them making it seem like I was in the wrong for their product being messed up. I feel better about the situation. I even got a call from them on becoming a WMI and have got the ball rolling on that so all is good!

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

I hope the new cutters arrive quickly and that you have better luck with them. Especially since they are plastic, they may have a bad edge on them. But not getting a clean cut can happen with lots of cutters that have those tight angles. You might try lightly coating the cutting edge with shortening. Place the cutter cutting edge up and lay the rolled out gumpaste on top. You can roll a rolling pin over it or press down with your finger. You should get a clean cut that way. Be sure your cutter is clean because the gumpaste will gunk up the edge quickly. I wipe mine with a little shortening on paper towel between cuts. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%