Never Made A Cake

Decorating By campayven Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:57am by mimi4bye

campayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campayven Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 14

For months I have been watching videos of people decorating cakes online. I am very anxious to make a cake. Yet I am scared to death. I have no clue where to start, what is the aboslute most necessary equipment that I will need for decorating and etc.... Please help. I am living over seas and do have access to a "cake" store. But it is a bit over whelming. Also- does anyone know of any online cake decorating schools- that goes from the basic- prepping and making cakes, cleanliness, decorating and storing????? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 14

Not sure if there are any online cake decorating schools, but I go to youtube.com sometimes and watch videos on all different kinds of stuff, from covering a cake with fondant, to making figures, stacking, etc... Very helpful.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 14

Being scared won't get that cake done! icon_biggrin.gif

as far as schools.. go to you tube, there is everything you need to know to start making a cake! I learned everything I know from this website and you tube and I like to think that I have come a long way!

some necessary tools that you may want before getting started would be a icing spatula, I like the small wilton one, Viva paper towels, a smoother, a good set of pans ( I recomend the Magic Line) and some good recipes (CC is the best for that) and some Americolor gel colors .. you can make a really cute cake with just buttercream and that's probably where you should start because it will only get better from there!

Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 14

Also check out sugarshack's DVDs www.sugaredproductions.com They cover everything you need to know.

duriancheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duriancheesecake Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:28am
post #5 of 14

Campayven,

You've already stirred up the most important ingredient - the desire and passion to learn this - so YAY for you!!

I agree with the other posts - youtube is one of the best sources in the absence of a pastry school. Articles on CC, and their helpful members are a great source. That, an investment in a few basic utensils, and a few nice books to keep you inspired will get you baking delicious cakes in no time. I am a newbie also but have found these to be sources of great inspiration.

I'm a bit vague as you whether you have not MADE a cake or whether you've not DECORATED a cake. So here's my suggestion :

For cake making:

A good cake recipe. Keep trying out recipes till you find the one that pleases you. Plenty here on CC.

20cm round or square cake tin to start off. And maybe a 12-hole cupcake tin. As you progress, you can add to the collection. Choose alumunium or non-stick.

Clear glass measuring jugs preferably with all three measurements - cups, ml and oz

Spoon measures

Flour sifter - I always sift my flour with other leavening agents to make sure it's evenly distributed. Even flours sold as 'sifted' will settle on the shelves.

Weighing scale prefereably digital. If you have to use the spring type, make sure it's accurately zero-ed before you start. Note : some recipes call for cups while other recipes use metric. I have baked using either measures and they all turn out great. Just be sure when you start a cake, keep to only one type of measure i.e. don't use cups for some ingredients and metric for others.

Stand mixer - indispensable. Worth investing in a good brand name if you intend on caking for a while.

Spatula with a flexible silicon blade.

Cake Decorating :

bmarlow001 has covered this part. If/when you want to work with fondant, I'd add :

rolling pin
thin paint brush for the sugar glue
medium paint brush for dusting excess flour/icing sugar
assortment of fondant cutters or cookie cutters
if you don't have a dedicated work surface, get a silicon mat

Hope this helps and good luck!

duriancheesecake Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:35am
post #6 of 14

bmarlow001 - can you help answer a question?

Viva paper towels - I've seen it in action on youtube and think it's great. For now, I don't see it in my neck of the woods so no idea what it exactly is. Can I use something else that will do the same job?

Thanks lots.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:51am
post #7 of 14

when i first started decorating cakes, i started out with cupcakes.

i bought those star tips, and piped cute little swirl roses and stuff.

then i found CC and moved on to bigger cakes.

OT: duriancheesecake, your nick cracks me up. i've never had a durian cheesecake before, though i've few times thought of making it. over here it's the durian season (about to past, i think).

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:55am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by duriancheesecake

bmarlow001 - can you help answer a question?

Viva paper towels - I've seen it in action on youtube and think it's great. For now, I don't see it in my neck of the woods so no idea what it exactly is. Can I use something else that will do the same job?

Thanks lots.

i can help to answer that... viva is a kind of very soft paper towel, almost like cloth. and it's pattern-less. i'm not sure if they are sold everywhere else other than the US.
i've read here on CC some used parchment or wax paper in place of viva.

duriancheesecake Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:23am
post #9 of 14

mclaren - I've been told I've missed a great season since I didn't return for the summer. I prefer the chilled durian cheesecakes. You must try.

Thanks for the info on the viva paper. Will give parchment a shot.

campayven Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:30am
post #10 of 14

Thank you ladies! My husband is deployed so I am goign to start occupying my time with cakes. I figured I would start small and work my way up. My just do an 8" cake and ice it and do some simple piping then work my way on up to bigger and better cakes.

NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:03am
post #11 of 14

We are overseas too (Okinawa) and our BX and craft store carry a lot of cake decorating supplies. I'm not sure where you're located overseas but I'd try your exchange and craft store! Also, websites like Amazon (if it ships directly from Amazon) and other cake decorating websites will ship to APO/FPO addresses. I'm not sure if your base has a craft store but ours does and it offers all of the Wilton classes - that's how I started out! I took all of the classes icon_smile.gif

campayven Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:31am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiB912

We are overseas too (Okinawa) and our BX and craft store carry a lot of cake decorating supplies. I'm not sure where you're located overseas but I'd try your exchange and craft store! Also, websites like Amazon (if it ships directly from Amazon) and other cake decorating websites will ship to APO/FPO addresses. I'm not sure if your base has a craft store but ours does and it offers all of the Wilton classes - that's how I started out! I took all of the classes icon_smile.gif

I am at Yokota AB. We do have a craft store on base- that sells a few items. Of base there are a few cake stores that sell everything- however it is all in Japanese. So I will have to find someone to take with me who can tell me what it is.

NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:37am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by campayven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiB912

I am at Yokota AB. We do have a craft store on base- that sells a few items. Of base there are a few cake stores that sell everything- however it is all in Japanese. So I will have to find someone to take with me who can tell me what it is.

Oh ok. I bought a few of my cake things at the 100Y stores...they usually have cute small pans and stuff. Other than that, I've gotten everything at the BX or craft store. We don't really have any decorating stores off base that I've found (Okinawa is tiny). I haven't had to order anything online except for gel food coloring because I wanted the nice stuff.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:57am
post #14 of 14

Campayven...I just did the same thing! i had been watching too many cake shows on TV and thought it would be totally cool to give it a try. I didn't have the money for classes, so I spent several hours on YouTube browsing through the videos and taking notes. I went to a local hobby store and picked up a few basic pans, spatulas, food coloring gels, and a fondant rolling pin. Don't forget to scour your house for things you may be able to use in lieu of store bought items. (For instance you can use the rounded end of a crochet needle instead of a shaping tool...just sterilize it first!) My daughter and I spent a whole day in the kitchen this weekend and knocked out two decent little cakes. Oh my goodness, NOW WE ARE HOOKED! This website has been an incredible tool also. Filled with so much wonderful info! Thanks to all the lovely people who provide the input. Happy Baking! Hope your desire turns into a life long hobby for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%