What Do You Think Of These Names?

Business By mfoxx9 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm by dinascakes

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 19

Coming up with a name for my business has been such a process! I think it's been more difficult and time-consuming that naming my children! BUT, I finally have it narrowed down to three names, and I'd love your opinion, if you're willing to help. I'm so excited to get my business up and running!

Thanks so much!

Michelle

18 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 19

Hi! May I suggest that you frame the name of your business around your beautiful and delicious cakes and not your physical qualities or your schedule to work on them?

For example, Moonlight kitchen sounds adorable, but it doesn't convey the idea of delicious cakes, or custom cakes, or beautiful cakes (Perhaps Moonlight cakes?). Carrot Top Cakes for example, might give the idea that carrot cake is your speciality (I don't know if it is) and with short and sweet cakes is the same. When I read the name of a business, I don't think about the owner, but about the product, and I don't want a short cake, but a really nice and tall cake.

I know that naming a business is very hard, and I hope you can find a really cute name that you are very happy with! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck.

mfoxx9 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you for your input, ngfcake! I had the exact same reaction to Carrot Top Cakes when my husband came up with it, but it just sounds so cute.

My father-in-law also suggested adding the word cake into the Moonlight Kitchen name. His idea was Moonlight Custom Cakes. Do you like that better, even though the word "moonlight" still doesn't describe my cakes?

I do have one more name that I'm considering, but we sort of ruled it out, thinking it doesn't quite evoke the right feeling, based on the kind of cakes that I'm currently doing. Right now, I'm mostly focusing on fun occasion cakes for children's birthday parties, baby showers, etc. What do you think of "Iced By Design"?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 19

Hi Michelle. You're right about the Carrot Top Cakes name, is cute! But as your husband says, it can limit what other people think about your cakes.

I really like Moonlight Custom Cakes. It describes your product (custom cakes) and the "Moonlight" part to me sounds like dreamy, special, magical, something like that. And as you mentioned, the name means something to you, which is great!

I prefer Moonlight Custom Cakes than Iced by Design, which lack this dreamy quality and seems rather serious. I really wish you the best of luck thumbs_up.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 19

I like Carrot Top Cakes: It's Kind of artsy

Moonlight Kitchen sounds classy.

beginner1933 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beginner1933 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 19

What about Moonlight Custom Cakes? Artist and Dreamy

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 19

I also like Moonlight Custom Cakes - it has personality as well as describing your product.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 19

i agree with ngfcake. I love the carrot top cake but only after you told me that it describes you. If i didn't know i would think that you specialize in carrot cakes. I do love Moonlight Custom Cakes. no explanation needed.

MizRed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MizRed Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 19

I'm a redhead too (hence the moniker "MizRed"), and while Carrot Top Cakes is cute, it reminds me of the comedian Carrot Top who's kind of creepy. icon_surprised.gif

Moonlight Custom Cakes thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 19

Moonlight Designer Cakes
Moonlight Cakes

Stay away from Carrot Top anything unless you only make carrot cake and want us to envision Carrot Top Guy *ick*

mfoxx9 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks for your input, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback from people in the business. I'll keep you posted!

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 19

Moonlight Kitchen or Custom Cakes Sounds great. I agree that your biz name should reflect what you do. I am children's artist and I named my biz using my son's nickname. I'm constantly explaining what I do when I say the name.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #13 of 19

moonlight cakery

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #14 of 19

Did a search of business names in Ohio...

Moonlight Cakes, Custom Cake, etc. is not listed. That is my favorite.

There is a Short & Sweet Bakery though. I agree with the others on Carrot Top.

Moonlight Designer Cakes sounds good too.

mfoxx9 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:28pm
post #15 of 19

We're going with Moonlight Custom Cakes. I'm going to have a friend start working on a logo today! So exciting!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:52pm
post #16 of 19

I had to post because I'm a redhead also. (Although I hate my red hair and try to cover it up with brown dye about 3xs a year and red comes right back, lol.) I was told when naming my biz that what I do (cakes) should be in my name and if possible the first word. My name is Kim and this is what my poll on Facebook came up with, "Kakes by Kim". Because the Yellowpages are in alphabetical order you should think of names that start with A, B, C... so that you can be first in the cake/bakery section. Not sure if anyone even uses the phonebook anymore though, I Google everything icon_smile.gif

mfoxx9 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 19

Mama_Mia - I just checked out your website. Your site and your cakes are beautiful! And, btw, I grew up in Troy!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoxx9

Mama_Mia - I just checked out your website. Your site and your cakes are beautiful! And, btw, I grew up in Troy!

Thanks! My hubby works in Troy, it's just about 15-20 minutes away. I like the name. Good luck on your new business, and I look forward to seeing your website, etc.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 19

I agree with the Moonlight CUSTOM Cakes. That's sounds much better. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%