Is There A No Shortening Crusting Icing?

Baking By bakencake Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm by LindaF144a

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 11

The best Crusting icing I have found is the Wilton bc icing. A friend wants me to make him a cake but wants no shortening. Is there a similar recipe that crusts but uses no shortening? Here is my recipe
1 c shortening 1 lb confectioners sugar
1 ts flavor. 1 tbs meringue powder
2 tbs water. Pinch of salt

10 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 11

For a much better shortening based icing I suggest that you try Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It beats Wilton's 'hands down'.

You can use all butter instead of shortening for any crusting buttercream. You will need to reduce the amount of milk that you add because butter has more liquid than shortening but fat/sugar ratio is what make an icing crust.
Butter = fat the same as shortening = fat. An all butter buttercream also will have a lower melting point than a shortening based bc and will not hold up to heat and humidity as well.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 11

It is the sugar to fat ratio that determines how a buttercream crusts. The 1 to 1 ratio of the Wilton recipe (1 cup shortening to 1 pound PS) is why it crusts. If you change it to butter it will crust just as well. However be aware that it will melt much more easily. It softens much more quickly while decorating---the heat of your hand will melt it. Just think about what happens to butter when it hits room temperature versus shortening at room temperature.

I understand your friend's preference for butter, but you will need to think about the weather. If it melts because of the heat and humidity the taste may be worse than any shortening based buttercream.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 11

You can do a combo of cream cheese and butter and it will crust too.

Here's one:
2 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 Tsp vanilla

This one will crust, but just lightly.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

Luvbuttercream's recipe in the recipe section is all butter, but it does get firm enough to smooth! I don't know if you'd really consider it crusting but you can use the melvira method on it! :] and it's YUM

LindaF144a Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 11

You can also use the Melvira method on SMBC that has been chilled once iced. But work quickly.

Did you want a frosting to be able to smooth or stand up to the heat and humidity. If it is for the second reason, then this will have to be a whole different conversation.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 11

[quote="LindaF144"]You can also use the Melvira method on SMBC that has been chilled once iced. But work quickly.

Really? icon_confused.gif I thought the Melvira method only worked on crusting buttercreams.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone! I think he just wants to give his wife a cake and say that it was made with butter and not shortening. I have heard great things about idydebi's recipe and will try it soon.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

You can also use the Melvira method on SMBC that has been chilled once iced. But work quickly.

Really? icon_confused.gif I thought the Melvira method only worked on crusting buttercreams.

Shhh....don't tell my SMBC, it doesn't know it.

Seriously though, it depends on all sorts of things. I have better luck in the winter than the summer. If I were to try and do it today, there is no way. In the winter I have better luck, but I have to work real, real fast.

I haven't made a cake, only cupcakes, since May. It is too darned hot for the icing I like. I am not in business like you, so I have that privilege of waiting it out. icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #10 of 11

[quote="LindaF144"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Seriously though, it depends on all sorts of things. I have better luck in the winter than the summer. If I were to try and do it today, there is no way. In the winter I have better luck, but I have to work real, real fast.

I haven't made a cake, only cupcakes, since May. It is too darned hot for the icing I like. I am not in business like you, so I have that privilege of waiting it out. icon_wink.gif

I'll give it a try. I'm not "in business" either, just work for someone that is....LOL....I love SMBC and so does my daughter...but we are the only ones in my house that do. Like you, I add melted white chocolate to mine....MMMMM good!! makes me want some just talking about it. icon_lol.gif
My favorite is SMBC with white chocolate and raspberry puree. Oh my..I can eat it straight from the bowl....don't even need a cake to put it on. At least I'm saving calories by NOT eating the cake too. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I'll give it a try. I'm not "in business" either, just work for someone that is....LOL....I love SMBC and so does my daughter...but we are the only ones in my house that do. Like you, I add melted white chocolate to mine....MMMMM good!! makes me want some just talking about it. icon_lol.gif
My favorite is SMBC with white chocolate and raspberry puree. Oh my..I can eat it straight from the bowl....don't even need a cake to put it on. At least I'm saving calories by NOT eating the cake too. thumbs_up.gif

Robin,
That combination is the one I made the last time I did make SMBC. The "crowd" went nuts over it. I had extra of the SMBC and put it on some cupcakes that I sent with my DD to work. Her coworkers told her they could eat that straight. That is the one SMBC I have to refrigerate, and I haven't tried smoothing that one yet as I only used it for piping. When I do use it for a whole cake, I might find out just how much I can smooth SMBC using Melvira's method! icon_wink.gif

Next week I am taking the plunge and making some IMBC. But I am going to do it at night with DH here with a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. You may think it is over kill, but you have not seen me in the kitchen. I am hoping lava hot sugar and I will get along. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%