Level Top After Buttercream Layer?

Decorating By Rach80 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm by Rach80

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

I made a cake this past weekend and I'm new to the fondant thing. My MMF came out great! But, I had a terrible time getting a crisp edge at the top on my cake. I tried and tried but could not get that pretty sharp edge at the top. It was a round cake and loked fine with just the buttercream, and once I put the fondant on the edges were very rounded. It still looked good, just not what I was going for. Any suggestion on how I can keep my edges sharp looking after the fondant?

5 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

The thinner the fondant, the better. I'm not so sure that with MMF you can get it as thin as some of the better brands, such as FondX and Albert Uster. Did you use the 2-smoother technique to try to make a nice sharp edge? Was your buttercream sharp on the edges and was the cake well-chilled?

Rach80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

I need to get another smooter to try the edges. But the cake wasn't chilled, should I chill after I place the final coat of buttercream on?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, absolutely. That will hold the buttercream firmly in place while you maneuver the fondant as you want it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, the chilled buttercream is one of the best tricks..And then the fondant not being too thick
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rach80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

Wonderful! I will try it, I thought since my buttercreame had crusted it would be fine, I can't wait to try chilling it first!
Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%