Crumb Coating A Non White Cake???

Decorating By AndriaBrooke Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm by indydebi

AndriaBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndriaBrooke Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 4

I am a beginner in cake making and I was wondering when frosting a cake with a color other then white do you crumb coat your cake in the same colored frosting you are going to use?? I would say yes but don't know if adding food coloring to the frosting you are going to use to crumb coat will change anything. I also was wondering when crumb coating the cake do you crumb coat it while it is cold or at room temp.? I am so confused on this after reading so many post. ;0)

Thank you in advance for any comments!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 4

I have done both .. crumb'd in white icing and crumb'd in the same color icing. The advantage of using the same color is no white icing peaking out thru the thin spots. The advantage of using white icing is you can see the thin spots when the white icing peeks thru! icon_biggrin.gif

Adding coloring doesn't change the icing.

If I crumb coat a partially frozen cake, I like to let it sit until the icing crusts, which takes longer on a cold/frozen cake.

AndriaBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndriaBrooke Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 4

I am super excited you replied I am going to use your Icing Recipe as well. I am making the cake the same day that I would like to crumb coat it so if I let it sit out and cool to room temp and then crumb coat it, then I should be good to go?

BTW: When I saw that you replied I was like a kid in a candy store... like a Cake Star responded to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndriaBrooke

I am super excited you replied I am going to use your Icing Recipe as well. I am making the cake the same day that I would like to crumb coat it so if I let it sit out and cool to room temp and then crumb coat it, then I should be good to go?

BTW: When I saw that you replied I was like a kid in a candy store... like a Cake Star responded to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif You're such a Krazy Kid!! icon_lol.gif

Yes, you can crumb after the cake cools right after baking. I would recommend letting the cake settle after crumb coating. This helps avoid the bulge in the middle. If you're in a hurry, some place a tile on top of the cake to hurry the settling process along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%