Using Silk Flowers?

Decorating By harbortowncake Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm by cutelove

harbortowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbortowncake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

If using silk flowers on a cake, do you need to do anything special like using straws as you would for items with wire attached? I love the look of this cake and so does my daughter-in-law. When she left for vacation, she said that "when I get back - I want one of your cakes and hopefully something like this!" I would like to learn how to make this flower, but for time and convenience sake - I was thinking of just putting a flower in. I've just completed all 4 of the last Wilton courses and loved every minute of it (so did my family and everyone at work - they got to taste my practice cakes).

If someone has an idea or even a tutorial on how to make this flower - it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1741427.html[/url]
LL

4 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

beautiful work! I'd email/PM the person who made the cake,to ask what specific cutters she/he used to make the petals...and what way the petals were attached together...looks like some free hand cutting and some leaf cutters to me...each petal is like a tiny calla!
VERY PRETTY!!!
you can use filigree cutters to cut the scrolls or perhaps cut them free hand...
the painting is usually done by thinning out food colors/gels with lemon extract. and using a thin fine tip brush.
Remember to crumb coat your cake with chocolate ganache and let it set firm..then you can cover it with fondant for a nice clean cake with minimum dents and bumps.
You can absolutely make this design your own...be creative!
Oh! Silk flowers...I've never used fresh flowers on my cakes...not that I am a fresh flower Nazi or something...just never got asked to put real flowers icon_razz.gif but I wash my silk flowers before using them on the cake and depending on their location on the cake either i just set on on a piece of parchment paper(so they wont touch the buttercream) or attach them with candy melts.
- h icon_razz.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 5

I believe the original poster of that pic said she used several different sized cutters to achieve the look.Very pretty!

harbortowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbortowncake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

Honeycakes, Thanks for getting back to me - I think I am going to take your suggestion and contact the creator of this cake and see if I can get the info on how to make this flower!! I'm new at making flowers and while at camp - I get some practice time. icon_smile.gif

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 5

hey if you find out how to do the flower let me know that flower is beatful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%