White Chocolate Ganache - What Went Wrong?

Baking By HPChick33 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm by cakecraft

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! I took a long break from cake-making because I just had a baby and everything made me nauseous while I was pregnant icon_cry.gif . Anyhow, I was excited to jump back in this past weekened. I had originally switched to ganache under my fondant because it gives a sharp finish, but only milk/dark chocolate. I baked a carrot cake this weekend so I wanted to go with a white chocolate ganache. I bought Ghiradelli's white chocolate chips, and used heaving whipping cream at a 3:1 ratio (choc:cream). I let it sit in a bowl covered with saran wrap overnight, and the next day it was very thick - definitely not the PB consistency that I get with milk/dark chocolate. So I started freaking out because the cake was for a birthday that night. I made a huge mistake by putting it in the microwave (you live and learn, right?). When I took it out it was greasy and nasty. So I whipped up a nice batch of cream cheese icing and called it a day.

What did I do wrong? I weighed my ingredients so I know the portions were accurate. Can anyone offer me any special tips on making white chocolate ganache suitable for icing?

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback!

9 replies
cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 10

Use real white chocolate--i.e. stuff that has cocoa butter in it. The major brands of "white chips" you find in the store are not actually white chocolate. Look at the packaging of Ghiradelli and Nestle's chips and you will not see the word chocolate on it. This is because they contain no (or at least an insufficient amount) of cocoa butter. Instead of cocoa butter they are made with oils. White chips just do not perform the same as white chocolate.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

Use real white chocolate--i.e. stuff that has cocoa butter in it. The major brands of "white chips" you find in the store are not actually white chocolate. Look at the packaging of Ghiradelli and Nestle's chips and you will not see the word chocolate on it. This is because they contain no (or at least an insufficient amount) of cocoa butter. Instead of cocoa butter they are made with oils. White chips just do not perform the same as white chocolate.

So do you use a white chocolate candy bar or purchase white chocolate from a chocolate supplier online?

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

So do you use a white chocolate candy bar or purchase white chocolate from a chocolate supplier online?

I go to the candy sections of the grocery store and look for white chocolate bars. A quick look at the ingredient lists will verify that is white chocolate. (Of course this is the most expensive).

You can find white chocolate in the baking section however. Baker's makes white chocolate squares. Ghiradelli also makes a white chocolate baking bar (but unfortunately cannot find them in stores here).

I will add this the difference in the wording between the bar and the chips by Ghiradelli is critical. The USDA mandates that for a white product to be considered chocolate at least 20% of its weight must come from cocoa butter. If the bar did not have cocoa butter in it, it could not be labeled as chocolate.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 10

good to know cakeprof - thank you!

HPChick33 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 10

Wow! Thank you! I just assumed it would work but I never checked out the ingredients.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #7 of 10

I also had a problem the first time that I made white chocolate ganache. I found that what you should have done when you took it out of the fridge was to whip it with your mixer and it whips up into this wonderfully delicious concoction that is somewhere between white chocolate whipped cream and a white chocolate buttercream. It tastes wonderful!! My first venture I had followed directions to the tee from the recipe on CC, but the person that wrote the recipe stated 1 Quart of heavy cream to 1 pound of chocolate. Hardly the 3 to 1 ratio that is supposed to be used for this stuff. But, what did I know, I am a "newbie" right?? Anyway, after whipping it and whipping it several different times during the day and still not seeing what I thought should be "whipped" white choc ganache, I finally added a box of Jello Sugar free white chocolate pudding mix into the runny mixture and it whipped right up after that. Thank God for Jello!! The day was saved.
And, by the way, you CAN used this as not only a filling but as your icing also. Once its whipped (and now I still use more heavy cream and ALWAYS add the Jello to give me the same great taste, stability, and usability at a much cheaper cost) Anyway, once its whipped, it stays that way and everyone LOVES how decadent it is!! Especially with the White Velvet cake recipe that is on the recipe forum. (BTW, that calls for a box of the Jello White Chocolate pudding mix too) Together they are absolutely the BEST cake I have ever tasted!!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

ThomsFox that recipe sounds delicious

HPChick33 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks ThomsFox! That is going right in my recipe drawer icon_smile.gif.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 10

ThomsFox, thanks for sharing. I have never had great success with white chocolate ganache--perhaps because I am not a fan of white chocolate so I don't regularly make it.
Your description made me want to give it another go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%