Your Favorite Orange Cake Recipe?

Baking By Thanksharla Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 4:35am by pianocat

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 17

I am dying to make an orange cake with Indydebi buttercream. What is your favorite orange cake recipe?

16 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 17

MacMom's WASC variation of Orange cake: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4643/orange-creamsicle

I haven't tried her filling recipe though, I make mine with vanilla pudding (just enough milk added to disolve the powder smoothly), Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream and Lorann orange oil folded together. Sorry I don't have measurements, I just eyeball it but everyone loves it.

Thanksharla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 17

Thanks for the suggestion. Here is what I have on hand: yellow cake mix, sunkist, box of orange jello and box of vanilla pudding. What can I do with them?

Thanksharla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:42am
post #4 of 17

no one?

FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 17

You can sub the water for OJ. I wouldn't know about the jello, but you can also add Vanilla pudding to the mix. If you have sour cream or yogurt, add that along with 1 cup each of flour & sugar, 3 eggs, 2 tbs oil. Not sure how strong the orange flavor will be but I'm sure you'll notice it.

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 17

I substitute OJ for the water, add box orange jello, add box pudding, and an extra egg.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 17

I wish I had my recipe with me. It's Mandarin Orange from one of the Doctored Cake Mix books. If you have either of those books, it's delicious!

FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 17

I don't have the Mandarin Orange one, but I do have Cake Mix Dr. book w/recipe for "Fresh Orange Cake". Haven't tried it personally, but it is:

1 yellow cake (with pudding in mix)
1 cup fresh OJ (or from carton)
1/2 cup veg oil (canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower)
1/4 cup gran. sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 17

Does anyone have a suggestion and recipe for a filling for the orange cakes? I need something that does not need to be refrigerated. I was hoping for a vanilla cream, vanilla mouse, or vanilla custard like filling, but again no refrigeration required. Any help would be appreciated.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 17

I've used the orange dreamsicle that I got from here. Either the recipes section or the gourmet flavors link. It's delicious, and I'm not a fan of orange! If I remember correctly it calls for orange sherbet...

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

MacMom's WASC variation of Orange cake: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4643/orange-creamsicle

I haven't tried her filling recipe though, I make mine with vanilla pudding (just enough milk added to disolve the powder smoothly), Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream and Lorann orange oil folded together. Sorry I don't have measurements, I just eyeball it but everyone loves it.

Ditto! I love the filling as well, but one of my top sellers is this cake with chocolate ganache!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #12 of 17

I like the orange butter cake from Whimsical Bakehouse, filled with orange curd. I can post the recipe if anybody wants it but doesn't have the book.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #13 of 17

I have never tried orange curd.....sounds so yummy! I'm always up for a new recipe to try. Thanks.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #14 of 17

i would like the recipe if u don`t mind, thank you

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #15 of 17

I am looking for something light and tasty for a ladies' lunch. Orange sounds good! I had been thinking lemon. Would the curd be the same as a lemon curd, just with orange juice instead of lemon?

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #16 of 17

My favorite orange recipe is in the Cake Bible...with a little Grand Mariner. I paired with the Chocolate Orange frosting. I'm not big on orange but I loved it. If you want, PM me and I will send.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #17 of 17

I LOVE the Beth's Wedding Orange Cake in CC Recipe section. I use the SMBC with it as it's not as sweet. I made this for a church function, and was told repeatedly that it was the best cake some had ever tasted. I think it's the grapefruit zest that makes it different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%