How Much Do You Charge "up Front"?

Business By grossoutqueen Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 2:28am by tyty

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 7

I have my first potential customer and I am in the process of setting up a cake tasting.

My question is, I was thinking of asking for 25% of the total at the signing of the contract and the rest due 2 weeks in advance?

How do you do this part of the "purchase"? How much do you ask for initially and by when do you require the rest?

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

I used to do $50 deposits but changed to half-deposit due to a customer problem recently.

Sometimes if its a wedding booked far in advance I take a $100-$200 deposit.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

The wedding is in October so that is pretty far in advance. I am charging $175 for the cake so should I ask for the entire amount upfront?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

The wedding is in October so that is pretty far in advance. I am charging $175 for the cake so should I ask for the entire amount upfront?

If it were me I'd prolly take $75 now and the other $100 two weeks before the wedding, something like that.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

My contract states 50% at time of signing and the rest 4 weeks before the event. HTH.
Cat

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #6 of 7

My contract states $50 deposit, half 60 days prior and I take the other half a week before the wedding as well as delivery charge and rental charge if they are using my cake stands or any other items

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

My contract states 50% at time of signing and the rest 4 weeks before the event. HTH.
Cat

Ditto!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%