Argh! I Broke My Cake's Face!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making an admittedly creepy-looking cake (ugh ... great way to start, huh?) for my little boy's Toy Story party this afternoon. Creepy because it features three-dimensional faces of some of the characters coming out of the sides of the cake (hard to describe, but I'll post a picture later when it's done). Well, the Woody was all done on my silicone mat to my satisfaction, and I was going to glue it to the cake. Mind you, I use Antonia74's RI, so it's stronger than cement, and I wasn't too worried about the weight of the face. But I didn't realize I had two hairline cracks right at the junction of the cheeks onto the face. With the rounded angle the face had to adopt in order to glue onto the cake, the cracks split WAAAAAAYYYYYYY open, completely exposing the fondant underneath ... HORRIBLE!!! It looked absolutely shattered (not to mention creepier than I had originally had it icon_wink.gif ) ... ARGH!!!!

I had a very difficult week at work schedule-wise, so left all the caking for my little guy's birthday still the last minute, so I definitely don't have time to make another ... I'm trying to silly-putty over it with softened fondant, but everyone will just have to ignore my Woody's mess when I do finally post the finished product. ARGH!!!

Just needed to vent. Not really frustrated ... but still doing lots of eye rolling at myself icon_smile.gif.

3 replies
emiyeric Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

Okay, so here's the finished product, mended Woody and all. Just thought I'd update icon_smile.gif.

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 4

It looks really nice!! How did you get the rainbow in the cake? Very nice looking cake!!! Your little boy was happy and that is priceless!!! Great job!

emiyeric Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I had fun! The rainbow effect is done by dividing your batter up equally and tinting each bowl one of the seven colors. You then pour a glib into the middle of your pans (red), followed by a glob immediately on top of it of orange, and so on. Don't worry about spreading it into the pan, pouring one color over the other will push the other colors out to form a rum of color like in the picture. Thanks for looking! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%