Make Your Own Stencils

Decorating By anjaligg Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:03am by tigerhawk83

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 4

What kind of material do you use to make your own stencils? I have wondered if you could use the paper punches to make your own stencils? If you can then where do you buy those. Thanks in advance.

Anjali

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 4

possible materials

card stock
oak tag (aka poster board)

but those both need to be laminated for long term use.

overhead transparencies
sheets of acetate
blank stencil sheets

all of that and the punches too can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, A. C. Moore and other quality hobby shops. Just be sure to use the %off coupons!

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 4

i have also bought from the dollar store those flexible cutting 'boards' and cut them for what i needed.
in craft stores, i look other places -- like clay & tin crafts (they have a brick imprint way cheaper than the 'cake' one), wall paint stencils and scrapbooking for dimensional items i can use to imprint fondant.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4

I have used blank stencil sheets - thicker ones at Hobby Lobby, thinner ones (like you use on walls) at home improvement store like Lowes. For single use stencils (see my tennis court in my photos) I actually used 2 layers of freezer paper glued together or poster board. I've been cutting my stencils using my Cricut expression and SCAL.

The flexible cutting boards or placemats at the dollar store are a good idea too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%