Need Help With Dr Seuss

Decorating By arx045 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 2:48am by arx045

arx045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arx045 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:06am
post #1 of 8

okay i want to make this cake..obviously i have to make it with fondant...which ill use marshmellow fondant..but how do i make the lil circles around?
And also what recipe or ingredients do u recommened for making the kite..bc sometimes it will fall off or it will crack..when i use some gum paste..
any recommendations/recipies/directions?
and also i use cake boxes when making cakes..i use betty crocker super moist..what do u guys recommend for cake boxes? i use the wilton pans and when the cakes are completely cool they still stick =/ and fall apart..could it be my oven cuz it took like 2 hrs to cook a 9 in at the right temp on the box

And how many do u think i will need..and how many cakes for each tier?

Thank you so much!
LL

7 replies
LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:15am
post #2 of 8

I never use gum paste, only fondant with a little tylose powder. It will dry really quickly and have almost the exact same strength. Let it dry for a few hours, then paint and stick on with some royal icing. The borders are just a white buttercream piped. As for your cakes, you might want to consult the "Durable Cake For 3D/Tiered Recipe" in the recipes section of this website. It is a lot stronger and can hold up more than just cake mixes. I would coat you pan with oil, then place a parchment paper cut out in the tin so that it just slides out after it is done. What temperature are you cooking at?

arx045 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

oh okay thanks for the reply...so you only add tylose powder to the molding not the coverings of cake right?
i would bake it at 350.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, tylose goes into the fondant of the kite, not the fondant covering your cakes. Once cut, let the kite sit for about an hour to become firm before painting or placing on the cake. Be sure to post pictures once you get it all done!

arx045 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 8

yeah i tried out the recipe of durable cakes and it was really good..i greased the pans with butter and traced wax paper and put it inside and covered it with a lil flour and it didnt stick at all!

do you think with that durable recipe if i make it on wed...it will be good for saturday (when i need the cake)
this is my plan so that i wont have to do so much work
ive made fondant already..

WED: i'm planning to bake wed and double saran wrap them and covered in walmart/target bags.. and make buttercream

THURSDAy: crumbcoat and ice with buttercream and make working on the candle and kite sculputure

and do u think i can put the fondant on friday and jus finish it that day excpet not stack and put the figures and do that saturday?

and i cant find tylose powder..do u have any reccomandations?
i used the marshamallow buttercream recipe

sorry for all the questions and thanks for ur time

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 8

I use 1C Crisco, 1C flour, 1C oil and mix it well. then I use it to paint a heavy coat on my pans and have no problem with them sticking. If I use this I don't bother with the parchment, but it wouldn't hurt.

I am afraid I am only a hobby baker so I can't help with the other questions.

tuamor1628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuamor1628 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 8

If you wanted to, you really don't have to start baking until Thursday. You can apply the fondant the same day you do the crumbcoat and ice it...just let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so to set up...then apply the fondant. I recommend one you've applied the fondant to the cake do not place the cake back in the refridgerator. Many people have claimed that the moisture gets to it and can ruin it. I don't know for sure since I've never done it, but its just my understanding its not a good idea. Hope this helps!

arx045 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #8 of 8

oh well i wanted to start wed bc i have a full time job and i dont have that much time plus i have to drive to my bfs house bc my mom doesnt let me do cakes at our house..lol cuz she doesnt like crisco..

what pan size do u think these are?

i was thinking about goin with a 6 inch 9 inch and 12 inch

or do u think 6 in 8 in and 10 in would look better?

any more tips?

thanks for the support guys =) greatly appreciate it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%