7.23.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm by leah_s

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #31 of 60

First time for the Fri. night chat. I usually work weekend nights, but we're going to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, yippee! I just finished an engagement cake, it took all day! I was having trouble with some black fondant (Satin Ice) I just delivered it and I hope it holds up for the party tomorrow. I was wondering if it might be the bad batch so many others have been having problems with. If it just lasts until they cut into it I'll be happy. If it falls apart after that, so be it.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:05am
post #32 of 60

Just finished DHs cake for his bday tomorrow. 10" cake with 2 layers - he wanted 1 layer banana, 1 layer spice and root beer icing! I've gotta say the root beer icing is really good and not something I would have thought of on my own.

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:08am
post #33 of 60

I need to make 2 doz. cupcakes with a WWF theme for Sunday evening delivery (for a 5 year old). All I can muster up is a square edible image logo on each cupcake decorated w/ buttercream stars. Since I am new, are there any suggestions out there for me?

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #34 of 60

I just got back from setting up a couple of dummy cakes for a silent auction. Minimum bid for a custom cake was $100. I looked at the sheet, two people bid- $25 & $30! It's for a cake worth up to $500! One of the dummies I put out was a four tier wedding cake- I hope that's not what they think they are getting for $25. Maybe they think they are bidding on the actual dummy? Who knows....
BTW, I was a bit impressed with myself today- I decorated two dummies, one 4 tier and a small two tier and baked and iced 4 dozen mini-cupckaes (two different flavors) in under 5 hours. I did make gumpaste daisies the day before for one of the cakes. The large dummy cake was all white fondant with fairly intricate hand-piped designs all over it. I am sure that doesn't impress some of you long-time pros out there but that was pretty darn fast for me! The baking part is no prob for me- I baked for a catering company for awhile. I am usually painfully slow at covering cakes in fondant and decorating though!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

bc should be the consistency of almost stiff whipped cream.

OMG...thank you so much! I have been struggling with this and wanted to post earlier about it. I wanted someone to explain in "lame man's terms" what buttercream should look like.

Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!!!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #36 of 60

Not doing too much this weekend. I backed off anything for my fathers birthday tomorrow and husbands sunday. Working on a cake that will look like water with a fish jumping out of it for my dad. We decided for sunday (husband) to do gluten free cupcakes on a tower with fruit and cheeses so pretty simple.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #37 of 60
Quote:

July is scary quiet. I wouldn't mind having more biz this month.

This economy officially sucks.

Luckily my slow weekend was by choice. I have very few weekends open between here and Mid December right now. Still booking as we speak, have one about to book on into April. But makes me VERY happy.

moonbabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonbabel Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #38 of 60

another friday night newbie here...made a huge batch of chocolate ganache and now waiting for a couple of cakes to finish up before getting the next batch in...trying out a new recipe and so far they look pretty good. it is the vanilla butter cake from the mermaid bakery posted here http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4313/vanilla-butter-cake-from-the-mermaid-bakery

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #39 of 60
Quote:

I'm watching DC Cupcakes. Why oh why do I torture myself? They're 2 hours late to deliver, they don't have all the cupcakes with them and they're too scared to drive themselves.

Momeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Me, too. I just saw them acting like they couldn't get out of the dayum door again with the cupcakes. Seriously? Are they going to do that every week? Sheesh. I don't know why I do it.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #40 of 60

I'm making a baby shower cake for a friend...she is not the recipient she just got put in charge of getting the cake.

I've tried making a baby out of the GSA mold....about 20 times...and either get a smooshed face or mangled feet.

Used whipped ganache as a filling for the first time.

And it's for a girl...I did pink daisies...green leaves and tendrils...and like a dummy a red border. Looks like Christmas in July.

Oh well. I'm pretty much done and can sleep til 8.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
post #41 of 60

I'm baking a Baptism cake tonight for Sunday and decorating tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of practicing a tier cake for my son's wedding Aug. 7th. The cake is 4 tiers - top and bottom (top not being saved) will be dark chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling, 1 tier will be carrot cake with cream cheese filling and 1 tier will be lemon cake with lemon filling.

The cake will also be covered in Michele Foster's Vanilla Fondant and a lace and blossom pattern will be piped on the fondant - also in white. I also need to make hot pink fondant daisies to go on each tier.

The cake will be stacked and not pillared. Unfortunately I don't have an SPS yet. (My husband has been unemployed for over a year and I'm on disability; but I did get an Agbay on eBay about 3 months ago! icon_smile.gif )

My friend and her mom (whose had over 30 years of cake decorating) will set up the cake for me on the wedding day only if I have it done a week ahead of time so I'm not doing it the week of and stressing.

I've read conflicting forum posts about freezing or not freezing. So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use the fillings as the frosting also or should I frost all the tiers in white?

2) Should I only freeze the baked tiers or can it be frosted and fondanted and frozen also?

I couldn't attach a picture but if you want to see it, it's in Wilton's 2002 Yearbook, pg. 53. Here is the link: www.wilton.com/idea/roses-and-lace-romance.

I would be grateful for any thoughts you sweet people have!

Deb

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:37am
post #42 of 60

wow! I actually get to participate tonight! icon_lol.gif

Finished an Air Force Uniform cake at 6pm today...the earliest I've EVER had a cake done. The cake is for a Welcome Home/Happy Birthday to a guy that just got back from Kuwait.

Just now I filled a marble cake with ganache and bavarian creme filling! This one is going to be YUM! (well, it is yum cuz i just tried it icon_lol.gif ) The cake is just a simple cake for a thrown together party. I'm not doing anything fancy on it

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #43 of 60

I did a cake today...it didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it tasted nummy!!! In my book that counts double!!!!

It as for my wonderful friend who is moving away. Her MIL brought a cake...an ALBERTSONS cake!!! UUUGGG!!!! Mine might not have looked as pretty as I wanted (construction problems) but it tasted WAY BETTER!!!!

step0nmi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:42am
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

bc should be the consistency of almost stiff whipped cream.

OMG...thank you so much! I have been struggling with this and wanted to post earlier about it. I wanted someone to explain in "lame man's terms" what buttercream should look like.

Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!!!

is that sooo icon_twisted.gif

then WHY when I just interviewed at a decorating place was their BC less stable then Cool Whip??? icon_confused.gif

step0nmi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeesbaking

I'm baking a Baptism cake tonight for Sunday and decorating tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of practicing a tier cake for my son's wedding Aug. 7th. The cake is 4 tiers - top and bottom (top not being saved) will be dark chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling, 1 tier will be carrot cake with cream cheese filling and 1 tier will be lemon cake with lemon filling.

The cake will also be covered in Michele Foster's Vanilla Fondant and a lace and blossom pattern will be piped on the fondant - also in white. I also need to make hot pink fondant daisies to go on each tier.

The cake will be stacked and not pillared. Unfortunately I don't have an SPS yet. (My husband has been unemployed for over a year and I'm on disability; but I did get an Agbay on eBay about 3 months ago! icon_smile.gif )

My friend and her mom (whose had over 30 years of cake decorating) will set up the cake for me on the wedding day only if I have it done a week ahead of time so I'm not doing it the week of and stressing.

I've read conflicting forum posts about freezing or not freezing. So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use the fillings as the frosting also or should I frost all the tiers in white?

2) Should I only freeze the baked tiers or can it be frosted and fondanted and frozen also?

I couldn't attach a picture but if you want to see it, it's in Wilton's 2002 Yearbook, pg. 53. Here is the link: www.wilton.com/idea/roses-and-lace-romance.

I would be grateful for any thoughts you sweet people have!

Deb

That link didn't work icon_sad.gif

if you are filling the cakes with chocolate bc and cream cheese bc then you should probably frost the outside with white bc....i like to use Crusting BC found here on CC. But their is Indydebi's and another one...opps icon_redface.gif forgot the name

step0nmi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I did a cake today...it didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it tasted nummy!!! In my book that counts double!!!!

It as for my wonderful friend who is moving away. Her MIL brought a cake...an ALBERTSONS cake!!! UUUGGG!!!! Mine might not have looked as pretty as I wanted (construction problems) but it tasted WAY BETTER!!!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Albertsons! oh my!

kuds for your cake that turned out...i'm in the same boat! icon_lol.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:42am
post #47 of 60

It's my birthday weekend so I didn't take anything. Ahhhh, peace & quiet. Plus my baby nephew was just released from the NICU yesterday so I spent all day & evening over at my sister's being a doting aunt. He is so freaking cute!

My mom has offered to make me a birthday cake and I'm sooooo excited over it. No one's made me a birthday cake since I was like 16. She's all like "I hope you don't expect it to be decorated. Or even to look nice." icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAdora66

I need to make 2 doz. cupcakes with a WWF theme for Sunday evening delivery (for a 5 year old). All I can muster up is a square edible image logo on each cupcake decorated w/ buttercream stars. Since I am new, are there any suggestions out there for me?

Tiny steel chairs out of gumpaste as toppers!!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:18am
post #48 of 60

I'm so jealous of everyone having a slow July, I have had cakes every weekend, and a few during the week too. And I'm just a hobby baker.

Tonight i'm working on my niece's 1st birthday cake, two tier buttercream with flowers, butterflies, and bees, then a lady bug smash cake. All my design ideas were thrown out by my sister this morning so now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the butterflies and bees, I bought candy and I'm going to try making them from airheads and laffy taffy and tootsie rolls, who knows what that will bee like (pun intended). I should have just made fondant, and hoped it would have dried overnight....
I also have a Fancy Nancy cake due on Sunday afternoon, Who in the heck is "FANCY NANCY", I had to research that one, I just have boys, so I was at a total loss.

I have cakes for the next two weekends too.. I'm ready for a weekend getaway!!!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:52am
post #49 of 60

Anyone else still up? I just finally got a chance to get out of the kitchen for a minute.

I had a poker cake picked up earlier today, currently working on a lego block to be delivered tomorrow, and just got the last two layers for a wedding cake due Sunday out of the oven.

This is the first week I've accepted more than two orders and this will be my second wedding cake ever. It's pretty small though 6,8,10, and they wanted NO filling! I think thats just strange.

I'm planning to enter a couple of dummies into the county fair and they have to be dropped off by Sunday at 6pm, so I'll see how many I have time for. I made a miniature tea set this week for fun and was thinking about putting it on one of the fair cakes, but I'm not sure how I should decorate the cake, any ideas? There is a pic of the tea set in my gallery.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:24am
post #50 of 60

No filling? Just four inches of cake? How'd you bake it that thick?

kitty122000 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:27am
post #51 of 60

baked two 2 inch... will it be an issue not having anything between them?

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:29am
post #52 of 60

Not even buttercream? How'd you stick them together?

kitty122000 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:31am
post #53 of 60

well... I haven't yet! lol

They will be covered in ganache, I told them they had to have something under the fondant, but they refused to put filling in any of the teirs.

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:00am
post #54 of 60

Sometimes cake muggles don't understand what filling is and think it's fruit. Filling is anything that's between the tiers, even it's it bc or ganache. Are you sure they understood our cake language?

kitty122000 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:16am
post #55 of 60

yeah I'm sure, we filled out my contract and when we got to options for filling they both said, "we just don't like filling, we want just plain cake" I offered a thin layer of buttercream or ganache and they were not having it.

The only concern I have is that other people at this wedding may think its a regular thing that I dont put filling in my cakes, and that would suck! Maybe I'll call her tomorrow and she if she'll do something at least in the larger two tiers, explain that her guests may want filling.

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:32am
post #56 of 60

I always say, "I have to stick the cake together with something."

kitty122000 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:45am
post #57 of 60

I figured I wouldn't have to fight the buldge! lol

lego cake is done, kitchen's clean, I'm going to bed!
LL

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:38am
post #58 of 60

Sorry I catch you late, I was making sugar toppers all day long.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #59 of 60

Thank you for replying! I will take your advise!

Do you know any of the answers to the freezing questions?

Gratefully,

auntbeesbaking

leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #60 of 60

bee - I wouldn't be to sure about freezing cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese itself can not be frozen with much success. But then I refuse all orders if I can't talk the customer out of cream cheese icing. That stuff will not be in my world (again.)

I also couldn't vouch for MFF. SatinIce does advertise that it freezes fine.

PS SPS is very inexpensive. Oasis Supply still has a bit of a sale on I believe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%