Red Icing!! Must Be A Better Way!

Decorating By lolobell Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 12:51pm by nana_marta

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #1 of 32

Hi all!

when mixing colors, i most always use Americolor.....sometimes i use Wilton.

I really dislike making red icing..i find that i use almost a whole bottle to achieve the right "red" and it seems soo gross to me!!! can anyone tell me how to get that "red" color without the whole bottle?! i have this issue as well when mixing color for my marshmallow fondant...

i have an elmo to do next week and i'm dreading the color mixing portion!!

thanks in advance!
Marianne

31 replies
athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 32

Hi Marianne!

Red is always a harder color to get just right. I'm guessing you use Americolor soft gel paste. You might want to pick up a different brand of red, something thicker like a paste. I use Chefmaster paste colors for everything just cause I can get it easier than the others where I live and they are the 1st and only ones I have ever used. I don't think you will have to put as much red in cause of the thick paste verses a soft gel paste. Another option if you have it I would do the Elmo in white and airbrush it red, that of course only works if you have one. I'm not a fan of eating a cake iced in a bright colored buttercream but we work with what we got! Good luck I hope it goes well for ya!

~Jessica

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 32

I read this in another post before and tried it and it works GREAT!!!!

First, dye the fondant/buttercream with Americolor Egg Yellow, then add one drop of fuschia, and then add red Americolor. It gives you a bright vivid red without using a whole bottle of red. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

vaniti716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniti716 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #4 of 32

wow Jaime3679 that cake is soooo pretty1

lolobell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 32

thank you both soo much!

first of all what a fantastic cake!! love the ladybug design! the whole cake is beautiful!

i will indeed try that tip for sure!!! i really appreciate the help!! ahhhh, relief from using a whole bottle of red!!!
many thanks!

katiemarie718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemarie718 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 32

I was watching a show the other night and they used strawberries and blue berries with purple coloring because of the same problem you might be able to do that with just red berries plus I would imagine that it tastes amazing.

lolobell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 32

katiemarie, that sounds very interesting!!!! maybe when i have free time to experiment i will try that! very cool....thanks for sharing.. icon_smile.gif

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #8 of 32

When I think about a red cake, this is what automatically comes to mind:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1537867

Right?
I mean, it couldn't be any redder if it tried!
And the solution was a box of red jello mix, who knew?

lolobell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #9 of 32

marcz
WOW!!!! excellent work!!!!

so, excuse the dumb question but did you use the powder straight from the box or did you mix it first?

katiemarie718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemarie718 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #10 of 32

that was just a box of jello that made it that red. Oh my gosh!

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

marcz
WOW!!!! excellent work!!!!

so, excuse the dumb question but did you use the powder straight from the box or did you mix it first?

lolobell, as much as I would LOVE to take credit for that marvelous cake, I'm afraid the genius behind it is CC member AngelFood4. She says in order to make the red fondant, simply mix the jello powder in with the marshmallows once they are melted (this, of course, is through the MMF recipe of your choice!) Then you add Wilton no taste red gel coloring as you knead the mixture, once the PS has been added.

If you want, visit her Facebook page and under the 'notes' tab, you'll find all the instructions! Check out her profile on CC for all the information icon_smile.gif
I wish you the best of luck!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #12 of 32

Can you get powdered colours there? Here in Australia, I can get very concentrated black and red powders to colour my fondant.

http://cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3012

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 32

Great tips. I had this very problem with red this week when I made buttercream "ketchup.' I used Wilton's No Taste Red, but had to use all of it and I still felt it had a chemical taste. Do you guys think a little of the jello could be added with PS in buttercream for a red color??

lolobell Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:24am
post #14 of 32

thanks again marcx! great information!

i always know that when i run into any type of problem, CC comes to my rescue!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:30am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

Can you get powdered colours there? Here in Australia, I can get very concentrated black and red powders to colour my fondant.

http://cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3012

I was tipped off to the powder colors years ago and this is the best way I've found to make rich colors without changing consistancy. I use some gel color and add the powder color. I do this with BC and fondant. If your local cake shop doesn't have them, order from GSA. They've come to my rescue. I Love GSA.

Sandy

Jen80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:04am
post #16 of 32

Yes, the powders are great Sandy.

I noticed under her picture (the Ferrari cake) that she says she still needed to use a whole bottle of gel colour to get it that red.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

Yes, the powders are great Sandy.

I noticed under her picture (the Ferrari cake) that she says she still needed to use a whole bottle of gel colour to get it that red.

A whole bottle? I wonder just how much color the jello added or if it just added flavor? I've obtained vivd red with a small amount of gel and powder. The powder is very concentrated. It is what I used on my flag cake, roses, and other cakes.

Sandy

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #18 of 32

Anybody have an answer to my question about the jello and PS being mixed together for BC?? Thanks.

lolobell Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #19 of 32

jamie3679...i tried the "recipe" you gave me to make red icing without the fuss of using a whole bottle of red... AND............ great success!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! YAHOO!!!!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #20 of 32

Still no answer. Oh well. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Jen80 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #21 of 32

Well I didn't answer 3LittleBeesCookies, because we don't have Jello in our country. We have Jelly Crystals, which would probably not dissolve in fondant or buttercream.

Others may not have answered because they probably don't know, so wouldn't be confident in recommending it.

Why don't you give it a go? No harm in trying hey?

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #22 of 32

Yeah. I figured what the heck. I'll just make a small batch in case it tastes gross. icon_smile.gif

Jen80 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #23 of 32

My concern wouldn't be the taste. I'd say it would be quite yummy thumbs_up.gif

I'd be more worried as to whether the jello dissolves and if it does, whether the buttercream spreads well.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes icon_biggrin.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:26am
post #24 of 32

It sounds like it would taste wonderful with the jello flavor but it probably wouldn't work with any ole cake.. it would have to go with the cake flavor. i'm making a super hero cake this upcoming week and i'm going to try the yellow and fushia idea icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #25 of 32

I'm going to try the red jello BC in the next day or so to make a cake for nephew. Will let you know if it works. icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #26 of 32

definitely! I would love to know if it works icon_smile.gif

lolobell Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #27 of 32

okay..STILL basking in the glory of the great new way to make "red" NOW i need help with Quava! yes, quava....another cake order which i'm happy about but another "first" for me.. quava?

any suggestions!?!?!?!

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:26am
post #28 of 32

lolobelle- do tell! Guava! how weirdly wonderful! Tell us more about it. Would you need a darker guava which I think would be orange with a touch of pink or light guava which would be a peach with a touch of pink?

lolobell Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #29 of 32

i am trying to find out right now from the gal what shade of quava she is referring to. i was stunned to google it and find out how many variations there truly are!!! so, hang with me, i will find out soon i hope!!!!!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

I read this in another post before and tried it and it works GREAT!!!!

First, dye the fondant/buttercream with Americolor Egg Yellow, then add one drop of fuschia, and then add red Americolor. It gives you a bright vivid red without using a whole bottle of red. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

i do something similar, by only using hot pink or fuschia, then the red. stange i know, but it works for some reason

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%