Needed To Share..what Do You Think?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 4:16am by sberryp

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 24

The guy that fixed my hubby's care called on Wednesday night asking me to do a cake for a friend that was due today. icon_surprised.gif At first I told them no because I am a summer school teacher and did not have a lot of time to work on the cake. After the mom told me that she just got out of the hospital, I decided to do. I told her over the phone that she would have to give me a $20 deposit to make the cake. She agreed, only to come to my house with no money and a lot of demands. I forgot to tell you that I told her the price was going to be $48, she told me she only had $40. I agreed because I really just wanted to make a cake. That night she told me that she would have him drop the full payment off the next day, only for no one to show up. Here is where my first question comes..

Would you start a cake without a deposit?

I knew if I didn't start the cake, that I would not have finished it. Then I called to make sure that she wanted the cake she said yes and that she was sorry and that she would drop it off that night. I was up until 10:40 waiting on her only for her to tell me she couldn't do it. icon_mad.gif She told me that she would drop the payment off when she picked up the cake. I said ok (like always). My husband and his cousin kept telling me I wouldn't start the cake without the money. I decided to finish the cake. The lady was suppose to pick up the cake at 4:30, but she didn't show at that time, so I called.....

Why do I have to keep calling if they want the cake. I was happy that I made the cake, but was very upset about how the customer was acting.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Here's a link to the cake if you would like to see it..
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1749896&sub=1749905

23 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 24

Sorry, but this woman sure called an awful lot of the "shots" on this cake.......way more than I would have allowed. I hate to feel like someone has had a good walk on my back.........

With a call that late in the game, I wouldn't have started the cake without payment in full, including a late fee. It's not like she didn't know about the birthday...........

I don't call people about cakes after we've settled the details about date, time, sizes, flavors, etc. Heck, I don't call them to finalize those details. It's their job to get back to me once they've requested a date & a cake. If they don't get back to me until it's too late, that's their problem, not mine.

Also, I'm guessing that's a 10" + 8"?? 48 to 62 servings depending on the serving chart you use??? And you sold it to her for $40--a price that SHE set by not having enough cash on hand---- at the last minute after having to chase her down? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_cool.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Rae

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 24

I agree with blake. I saw your photos. I like the cake with the brown ribbon.

You put such hard work into your cakes. No deposit no cakes.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 24

WHOA - $40 for a two tier cake???? You are underpricing yourself...and letting your customers undercut you further by choosing their own price! No way should you start a cake when you've clearly stated a deposit is required and they don't show up with it.

Conversation after she comes with no money in hand....

"I won't be able to start your cake until I receive the deposit. I will need to start your cake by ______ time on ______day in order that it's finished on time. You'll need to get me your deposit by ______ or I'll assume you are canceling your order".

Write a contract....and raise your prices! Your cake is very well done.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

WHOA - $40 for a two tier cake???? You are underpricing yourself...and letting your customers undercut you further by choosing their own price! No way should you start a cake when you've clearly stated a deposit is required and they don't show up with it.

"I won't be able to start your cake until I receive the deposit. I will need to start your cake by ______ time on ______day in order that it's finished on time. You'll need to get me your deposit by ______ or I'll assume you are canceling your order".

I totally agree, and I sold a cake that size for $75 in my area.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 24

I don't turn my oven on for anything under $50. what's the point after you factor in material & electricity and such what are you actually left with, really not worth the bother. My base price on a 2 tier is $150. at $40. I don't know how you make any money? I'd rather clean my house than work for free for others no matter if it is doing something I like. I wouldn't have made the cake she knew your terms and chose to disregard them she didn't deserve your beautiful cake.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #7 of 24

While I can only bake for fun from my home.....IF I were doing this as a business....there would need to be a contract and my oven would not be turned on until I had the money in hand. And the customer would not dictate to me what my prices would be. Even though you wanted to do a cake....you need to make sure that all of your time nad expenses are covered.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #8 of 24

Always get a deposit! This person already had all the signs of being flaky, so I agree with everyone else, payment in full for them...but at least don't start until you have a deposit to cover your ingredients! And, I agree, you are underpricing yourself alot!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

With a call that late in the game, I wouldn't have started the cake without payment in full, including a late fee. It's not like she didn't know about the birthday...........

This x1000. The *only* exception I would make would be for my sister, and I make her kids' birthday cakes at no cost as their gift. I know how it feels when that itch strikes, when you just really want to make a cake, but business is business.

And, yeah. Raise your prices. thumbs_up.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #10 of 24

I have done cakes with out a deposit first. But it is VERY rare. Normally one of my kids teachers, my landlord, etc. People I am familiar with. But $40 for that cake is a no no. I have done it. Trust me and I won't do it anymore! I cut a deal for friends on their or their kids birthday cakes but they cut me deals back as well on things I need.

I would not make a cake for someone who doesn't show up for a deposit payment! NEVER!

sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I know for next time. This really sucks. I new to this.... I will learn from my mistakes.

sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:

Thanks the cake was an 8" and a 6".

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 24

My starting price for an 8" 6" in fondant is $115, just to give you an idea (that's $5/serving and using Earlene's cake serving chart an 8" 6" is 23 servings).

Best of luck. Just wondering....did the client eventually show up with money for the cake?

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 24

1. Add up the cost of your ingredients and consumables (don't forget the cost of your boards and supports, electricity, detergent, paper towel).

2. Subtract from $40.

3. Divide remainder by the number of hours you spent: PLANNING, baking, decorating, cleaning.

4. When you get to some measly amount like 80 cents per hour:

Remind yourself that you are working in a KITCHEN not a sweatshop thumbs_up.gif

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Your cake is FAB!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 24

If a person tells you a lie once, shame on them. If a person keeps lying at some point you have to take a "big girl pill" and NOT make the cake. I know because I use to do things for ungrateful people and listen to lie after lie, but still help them out (and I'm not even talking about cake related stuff).

Some people don't care about making you go through the trouble of helping THEM out. I just got my prescription filled for my "big girl pills" I can lend you one if you like. Sorry that happened to you. She took your kindness and spit on it. That sucks!

4realLaLa Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #16 of 24

Oh and your cake is lovely. Her lost.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Some people don't care about making you go through the trouble of helping THEM out. I just got my prescription filled for my "big girl pills" I can lend you one if you like. Sorry that happened to you. She took your kindness and spit on it. That sucks!

I agree. I've been having problems with friends and neighbors who think that they can learn to decorate cakes or cupcakes (with my equipment and materials only to not return or have me beg them and go to their house to retrieve) in a few hours. I know it's hard to say no, I HATE to say no, but sometimes you just have to. I wrote down a word by word play of how to say no in different situations so when the time comes i can say no in an eloquent way. When i know how to do it it's easier for me. If i try to wing it sometimes I panic and say yes.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #18 of 24

i meant to quote just the first half of the post. sorry still new to cc.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #19 of 24

wow, I hope she picked up the cake. I have learned the hard way about cakes without a deposit.. icon_sad.gif
Lovely work, but I agree with everyone else- you are totally under charging.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

sberryp Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:30am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

If a person tells you a lie once, shame on them. If a person keeps lying at some point you have to take a "big girl pill" and NOT make the cake. I know because I use to do things for ungrateful people and listen to lie after lie, but still help them out (and I'm not even talking about cake related stuff).

Pass some of those pills my way. lol Thanks for the advice and comment.

sberryp Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #21 of 24
Quote:

My starting price for an 8" 6" in fondant is $115, just to give you an idea (that's $5/serving and using Earlene's cake serving chart an 8" 6" is 23 servings).

Best of luck. Just wondering....did the client eventually show up with money for the cake?

Yes they did pick up the cake. I was like thank God.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #22 of 24

We all have to learn these lessons the hard way. I went through the ringer before I took my "big girl pill" and toughened up. YOU have to set the rules and keep control. Any cake needed sooner than 1 month away is PAID IN FULL AT TIME OF ORDER. If they do not pay when they were due then I call or email and say "I am sorry you chose not to go through with placing your order and are not getting a cake from me this time."

4realLaLa Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #23 of 24

@sberryp I'm glad they picked it up. You really did a great job on it.

sberryp Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:16am
post #24 of 24

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%