Do You Belong To A Cake Club In Your Area?

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 1:44am by ValMommytoDanny

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 23

Hi All,
I was curious how many of you out there attend local cake club meetings? And if so, what kinds of things do you do at them? Approx how many people attend? How often do you meet?

To share, I belong to one near me and I'd guesstimate anywhere from 30-40 people show up each month. It's great! The president goes over some "business", meaning reviewing what we did the previous month, shares any new news dealing with anything from new members, to new books/magazines, upcoming classes/shows and that kind of thing. Then someone does a demo on something cake related. Sometimes two demos.

Members bring snacks/drinks too. Members get a monthly newsletter too with pictures from previous meetings, recipies, photos of cakes, birthday/anniversary wishes, details on the demos and that kind of thing. We just had the annual Christmas party dinner/cookie exchange in Dec and that was fun! We'll be working on our club's show cake this month for the upcoming cake show in Feb.

Anyone care to share what you do?

KimAZ

22 replies
KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 23

icon_biggrin.gif That sounds awesome Kim! I only belong to ICES. Nothing local.I need to look into finding one around here seems like it would be fun.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 23

Yes, one was formed in our area last year and is growing steadily. We have about 60 members at this time. Here is a link to our club. Contra Costa Cake And Sugar Art Society, in Northern California.
http://www.contracostacakeclub.org/

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 23

I don't think we have anything like that here in MA icon_cry.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:00am
post #5 of 23

I use to belong to a local ( as local as possible!) cake club. I stopped going because it was only about 4 people and the group was very unorganized. I had to drive about 60 miles each way and just didn't feel it was worth it!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:01am
post #6 of 23

I miss the Westside Cake Club. A lot.

Say hi to them for me Kim.

Rachel

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:07am
post #7 of 23

not yet, but I'm going to my first meeting next Friday. I'm excited about meeting these people and picking their brains!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:15am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

not yet, but I'm going to my first meeting next Friday. I'm excited about meeting these people and picking their brains!

..would this club be called FACES by any chance?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:26am
post #9 of 23

No, but I'd wanted to join. . .oh well. The year's already begun. icon_cool.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:57am
post #10 of 23

THi Kim. Yes, there are three clubs in my general area. One club has about 20 people attend consistently, the other is an old club and only has about 10 people attend regularly. The third was just formed about a month ago so I think they only have a handful of members.

We do demos, have raffles, share pictures of our latest creations, have a little desert, etc. Very fun.

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:00am
post #11 of 23

I would love a "cake or cookie" club!
Anyone know of any in Connecticut?

Fairytale Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:15am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsel8

I would love a "cake or cookie" club!
Anyone know of any in Connecticut?

You might check with the Cookie Cutter Collectors Club. Their web site is www.cookiecuttercollectorsclub.com. They have links to local clubs. BTY, you have the worlds best tinsmith who makes copper cookie cutters in CT.

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:20am
post #13 of 23

Thanks again Fairytale, when I went to that website, I found a club for "New England" and I think they are in Mass. I just have not contacted them yet. I was hoping with my post that maybe I would find a new "baking" neighbor around here.
Thanks
BTW, where is this "worlds best tinsmith" located?

Fairytale Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:32am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsel8

Thanks again Fairytale, when I went to that website, I found a club for "New England" and I think they are in Mass. I just have not contacted them yet. I was hoping with my post that maybe I would find a new "baking" neighbor around here.
Thanks
BTW, where is this "worlds best tinsmith" located?

They live in Bethel. It's Simons Cookie Cutters. Their friends of mine and soooooo sweet. I'm actually their cookie artist. The cookies on their web page and brochures were made by me.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:09am
post #15 of 23

Yes, i actually started ours in 2000, but it hasn;t flourished as i had hoped. we only have about 6 people attend regularly but i would love new members is anyone is close to Denton TX.
I go over business first 15 - 20 minutes, sometimes we have a tasting, a member will make a cake, no icing just a cake recipe to try, then we have a demo or workshop.

robjomac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robjomac Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:18am
post #16 of 23

Sweetcakes I am close to Denton and new to cake decorating but would love to get more involved and learn new things. Where in Denton do you guys meet and about what time?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:27am
post #17 of 23

I only wish there was one in my area. I'd even drive a little ways to attend. but there's nothing around that I know of. Shoot!

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:41am
post #18 of 23

I belong to one in my area (southeast Texas). Sounds like we do the same things that everyone else does at their meetings. Minutes, business, food, demos. Lots of fun to get together with other "cake minded" folks! Here is the link to our website.

http://www.setxcakeclub.org/

If anyone lives in this area please check out the site. We are having a Day of Sharing on April 15th with Earlene Moore, Jennifer Dontz, Sharon Zambito (aka Sugarshack), Edward Frye, and more! It is going to be a great time and full of great demos! It would be great to meet some other CCers!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #19 of 23

Yes, I wish there was one in my end of town (South Seattle). There is a cake club in North Seattle but with traffic the way it is here it would be a good hour and a half or more for me to get there each way. So any of you South Seattle people...let me know if there is one in our end of town that I'm not aware of !
Jacqui

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:29am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

..would this club be called FACES by any chance?

Yes... why???? I was wondering when I read your post if this was the one you were talking about. Please PM me if I need to be warned about something icon_confused.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:06am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabee

http://www.setxcakeclub.org/

I saw this and I thought what kind of a cake club is this! icon_confused.gif lol I guess my eyes skipped over the "t"

I have been looking for a cake club in my area I know there is one in Jacksonville but that's a bit too far for me.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:27am
post #22 of 23

We have one in our area. I am a past president. Unfortunately our members are declining. We are out trying to spread the word by going to the Wilton classes in the area. We have been together for about five years. Like the other clubs we have food demos and a business meeting. We also do cakes each month for The Boys Home Of The South. Most of the boys are there through no fault of their own but because their parents are unable to parent for whatever reason. Some of the boys have never had a birthday cake and look forward to the cakes every month. Our website is below.

www.ccu.zoomshare.com

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #23 of 23

Nope, unfortunately nothing in my neck of the woods, but boy would that be fun. I will check out the link to see if there are any that I haven't heard about. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%