"new" Pan Already Has Wear And Tear On Arrival

Decorating By schwammrs Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 2:22am by schwammrs

schwammrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwammrs Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 5

One of the NEW cake pans I just received in an order of four total was not in as good condition as I would have expected. But I'm having trouble deciding if it's bad enough to send back and get a new one, or if it's just an early appearance of the typical "wear and tear" I should expect...

(They were ordered from a retail store, not an individual seller, etc, and so far, I've had good interactions with the staff there.)

Specifically, it's a 12" square Magic Line. One flange is bent down at the corner -- which is only a cosmetic detail since it wouldn't affect baking but still is bothers me since, if my pan is going to be bent, I'd like to be the one responsible for bending it. : )

But more importantly, there are a few areas that have closely-spaced scratches, almost like pitting. So not just little surface scratches that are bound to appear here and there, but scratched enough that I can feel the roughness if I just glide my fingertip over it.

The biggest area like that is smaller than a US quarter, but bigger than a nickel.

Do you think the cake would stick more to the scratched areas? Or does the grease/flour coating protect against stuff like that?

I called the company. They said they'd be willing to send me a replacement "if [I] think it's really bad." (I forgot to ask who pays for the shipping, both for the new one to me and the old one back to them.) I don't want to make a big deal over nothing, especially if a new pan would look just like this one after being used a dozen times, but I was also looking forward to my first "nice" pans...

And like I said, the other 3 pans were fine.

Anyone care to weigh in, especially if you have Magic Line pans and can say what they look like after having them a few years? (Or running them through the dishwasher like in this topic: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-688921.html? ) icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Karin

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

For what ML pans cost, I expect a new one to be perfect. Send it back.

schwammrs Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Leah. Your post made me realize that, had I been in their store looking at the pans, I would have left this one on the shelf. So I shouldn't feel bad asking for a replacement.

So thanks again for chiming in.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 5

I would be disappointed if I ordered a new pan and it arrived in less than perfect condition. I would either ask for them to send you a new one or refund you partial credit to your credit card.

schwammrs Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, tweeter. I'm a recovering perfectionist, so sometimes have trouble knowing if I'm going overboard in my expectations.

It's settled -- I'm sending it back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%