10 Piece Fondant Tool Set?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 2:21am by mmdiez10

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 12

I usually use my handy dandy pizza cutter for all my fondant accents..hehe..works well...but i was wondering if this is something good to buy....any suggestions?
this is the wilton 10 piece tool set...do hyou have it? like it? love it?

11 replies
Pickulz Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 12

sorry i think its called a gum paste tool set...

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 12

I do have it and I do use it on almost every fondant cake. I have a pizza cutter as well as other types of wheel type cutters that I use as well.

Cat

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, the tool set is an excellent buy also works very well with modeling chocolate and chocolate work.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 12

I am not a fan of the wheel tool in the gumpaste set from wilton, mine always sticks and gives me issues. I picked up one from either JEM or PME (it has a yellow handle) and it was worth the $8 I spent on it. Otherwise the rest of the set is wonderful and I use it for just about everything. If you are looking for a treat though, you may want to consider picking up a stainless steel ball tool.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie13

I am not a fan of the wheel tool in the gumpaste set from wilton, mine always sticks and gives me issues. I picked up one from either JEM or PME (it has a yellow handle) and it was worth the $8 I spent on it. Otherwise the rest of the set is wonderful and I use it for just about everything. If you are looking for a treat though, you may want to consider picking up a stainless steel ball tool.

DITTO -exactly what I was going to say! The stainless steel ball tool has no seams so it does not catch on your gumpaste. Highly recommended.

Shannie, the cutter you mentions is PME.... I also have their Quilting tool as I find the Wilton one sticks as well. It was amazing to see the difference in how they "flow."

Pickulz Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #7 of 12

where would i get the stainless steel ball tool? is it a wilton product? perhaps available at michaels?
im all for treating myself to some baking tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

where would i get the stainless steel ball tool? is it a wilton product? perhaps available at michaels?
im all for treating myself to some baking tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilton does not have a stainless steel, but if you'd like a good one there is a fantastic set in the Sculpy aisle in Michaels. It has three different sizes. (edited to add that they have black handles if you go looking for them.) As well... you could probably use a coupon for a discount. There are a lot of really great items in the clay aisle that one may use for caking!

Otherwise, ordering off a website such as Global Sugar Art would be your best bet.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18717&name=Celcakes%20Ball%20Tool%20Medium

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 12

I use my Wilton gumpaste tool set every day. Ditto on the wheel tool sadly. I use another brand for that. My ball tools are by Sculpey that I bought at Michaels. There are three in the set for about $9, but I used a 50% coupon when I bought them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #10 of 12

I use the gumpaste tools all the time, but I recently purchased the poinsettia dvd by Edna. she sells the metal ball tool. I just got it and haven't used it. But if she recommends it, I am sure it will be great.

athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Wilton does not have a stainless steel, but if you'd like a good one there is a fantastic set in the Sculpy aisle in Michaels. It has three different sizes. (edited to add that they have black handles if you go looking for them.) As well... you could probably use a coupon for a discount. There are a lot of really great items in the clay aisle that one may use for caking!

Otherwise, ordering off a website such as would be your best bet.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18717&name=Celcakes%20Ball%20Tool%20Medium

Idk they had some at Michaels, I can't wait to look now. I was just thinking about picking up a smaller ball tool. My teacher told me to get one when she taught me 10 years ago, I'm so glad I did. I can't remember the size, I want to say it's 1/2" and 5/8" w/e it is it has done well for me all these years, just looking for one for smaller ruffles, flowers and leaves now icon_smile.gif
I'm pretty sure I got mine from the sugarcraft catalog, Sugarcraft.com. Mine has a wodden handle.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #12 of 12

The ones at Michaels are in the clay section. The brand is Sculpey. Not the Wilton aisle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%