Is This A Strange Request To You??

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 12:44am by Rose_N_Crantz

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 31

I have a request for a White cake with Lemon raspberry filling and chocolate icing.. now, seperately these would be good but i'm not sure about all of them together...

What do you think?

If you think nasty what do you think I should do? I would hate for something I make to turn out tasting like poo even if it was requested.

If you think this would work, does anyone have a good lemon raspberry filling? and what chocolate would compliment the other flavors?

TIA

30 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 31

If they asked for it, I'd give it to them. People's taste buds are different. I happen to adore a pinapple malt, but my DH could barf just thinking about it

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 31

If that is what the client asked for, that is what you should give them. I always combine white chocolate, lemon and raspberry flavors, it's a great combo. Maybe ask what type of chocolate the client wants, white, dark or milk chocolate

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 31

I just did a wasc cake with lemon and raspberry fillings. I filled the torted area with lemon and in between layers with raspberry. Maybe you could do that. I don't think the chocolate icing would be bad if you seperated the fillings. Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 31

Oooohhhhhhh YUM! That would be just the right dessert for meicon_smile.gif And make sure that choco icing is really chocolately!

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 31

I think it sounds really good, actually. I'm a fan of lemon/orange/raspberry with chocolate. It's like the candy you get on Valentine's Day....mmmmmmm

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 31

MMmmmm. I think it sounds divine! Peoples tastes buds are very different.

bmarlow001 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 31

Thank you all very much! I will definitely seperate the lemon and the raspberry and I was thinking of a dark chocolate.. wish me luck!

cakemadam21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemadam21 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 31

No, I don't think its strange and that's what the client wants. I have people that love lemon cake with chocolate frosting, so adding the raspberry filling shouldn't be bad at all...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 31

It's not strange at all. Which is why bakers should not impose their personal taste and preference on a client.

I will make suggestions only if it's a structural issue. But decor and taste is totally the client's call.

If we went just by what *I* like, there would be very limited flavors available!!! Like ....... THREE and THREE only!! icon_biggrin.gif

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 31

Indydebi, you know this is coming....which three?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 31

white/vanilla cake, chocolate cake and raspberry filling. It's a given that the icing is vanilla (which counts as the "white" flavor) and chocolate icing is ok (which is already counted as a flavor in the chocolate cake category). Chocolate icing can be mixed with raspberry filling to make chocolate-raspberry filling.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 31

I once had someone order a banana cake with crushed oreo add-ins in the filling and chocolate icing. I thought it sounded disgusting. Funny thing is, they never came to pick up the cake, so I sent it in to my DD's office.

It's now their fav cake flavor.

Go figure.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 31

A no-show? sounds like a topic all to itself

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 31

I have had lemon raspberry muffins and they were quite good!

bmarlow001 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 31

which lemon filling would you suggest? I normally make the lemon cream but not sure if it would be such a good idea with this cake icon_smile.gif TIA

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 31

I had someone request Lemon Cake with Blueberry filling, which I thought was weird. But then my pastry chef friend said that Lemon/Blueberry and Lemon/Raspberry are used together all of the time in baking and desserts. I would say give it to them if that's what they asked for icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #18 of 31

Taste is in the tounge of the beholder.. icon_biggrin.gif Just be a business owner/caterer--I've seen all kinds of thing, and that combination is really mild to things I've seen!

Leahs--the first thing I thought of was chocolate covered bananas or banana splits when I read your combo

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #19 of 31

I've had a request for lemon cake with chocolate icing. Till this day i can't imagine the flavors together, but you never know what people like.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 31

Mmmmm.. sounds good to me. Especially if you use ganache instead of chocolate buttercream. Now you've got me craving some of those chocolate raspberry sticks - you know the ones I'm talking about, right? Everybody better watch out now - don't want to get in the way of a pregnant lady and her cravings! icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

Mmmmm.. sounds good to me. Especially if you use ganache instead of chocolate buttercream. Now you've got me craving some of those chocolate raspberry sticks - you know the ones I'm talking about, right? Everybody better watch out now - don't want to get in the way of a pregnant lady and her cravings! icon_lol.gif

I think you are right, ganache would make a difference...citrus and chocolate is not my favorite, but I can see why someone might like it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #22 of 31

mmm, I love a dark chocolate lemon creme candy, and choco dipped candied orange peels . . .

stoppit!

naunie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naunie2 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 31

I'm not a pro by no means but, I think a taste test would be in order for the person who placed the order, however it sounds good to me. Different strokes for different folks.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #24 of 31

I've had people order lemon/chocolate combo before...I think it sounds horrible but whatever they like!

I don't like much chocolate/fruit anyway...it has to be just right for me to like it, and usually only berries, and only certain brands or kinds.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #25 of 31

I worked for a certified Master Chef at a local country club and he said his FAVORITE thing was lemon and dark chocolate together. At the local farmers market there is a guy who sells chocolate dipped key lime pie like crazy.... I am with leah on the chocolate dipped orange peel I LOVE it. Personally I've yet to try dark chocolate and lemon together maybe it's time to give it a whirl. I love lemon and white chocolate and citrus and dark chocolate do seem to be successful. I definitely think dark chocolate ganache would be the way to go on that one.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 31

OH my word I'm so hungry now!! LOL!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #27 of 31

I love key lime pie so I'd surely try it chocolate dipped!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:08am
post #28 of 31

Guess I'm odd because I thought it sounded good until...the chocolate frosting. Someone mentioned white chocolate which sounded like maybe it would be ok. I think it's odd.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:44am
post #29 of 31

Sort of off topic but... Last night I had a chocolate bar with chipotle, salt and POP-ROCKS in it! It was AWESOME! I want to figure out how to make a cake flavor or filling like this. I bought it at Walmart of all places. icon_biggrin.gif

tonyas_jewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyas_jewels Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:58am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I've had a request for lemon cake with chocolate icing. Till this day i can't imagine the flavors together, but you never know what people like.

This is my son's favorite cake combo, i thought the same as you , but it is actually really goodicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%