Preserves + Buttercream As Filling - Refrigeration Needed?

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm by mamawrobin

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hello helpful CCers!

I'm making a friend's birthday cake and I know she really wants my strawberry filling. I use strawberry preserves mixed with buttercream. I'm wondering if this needs to be refrigerated. Usually, I say "if in doubt, refrigerate" but in this case, I'll be covering the cake in fondant, which can't be refrigerated.

I've heard that the amount of sugar mixed in this type of filling acts as a preservative. I've also heard that we only refrigerate fruit preserves after opening to prolong freshness (not like milk where it will sour very quickly). If these things are true, this cake should be okay covered in fondant and sitting out for less than 24 hours. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 6

I use preserves (not mixed with buttercream) all the time in my cakes and have not had any issues leaving it out of the fridge.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

I also use preserves mixed with my buttercream as filling occasionally and I never refrigerate my cakes. The preserves require no refrigeration and neither does the buttercream. icon_confused.gif

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks...I was just checking. I know the buttercream doesn't require refrigeration, but my preserves says "refrigerate after opening" so I wanted to be 100% sure! icon_smile.gif

pinky317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky317 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6

How long can this be left out? I am planning on starting the cake today and letting it sit out until saturday afternoon.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky317

How long can this be left out? I am planning on starting the cake today and letting it sit out until saturday afternoon.

Cakes at my house only last for 2-3 days because I have a houseful of teenage boys...LOL....but I'd say 5 days or so. Your cake will be fine until Saturday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%