Can I Really Make Any Money Baking At Home?

Business By bethasd Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:41am by Yum2010

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkirby

So anyway, I'm now learning to say no more often to people who "only want a cake to feed a few people but I can't afford to pay a lot'. My time is worth something and I won't do a cake for under $60 any more.

Yeah, the last time I went to the grocery store and told them that I needed the whole cartful of grocereis, but I couldn't afford to pay a lot, they wouldn't give me a discount. Remember that the next time someone tries to bargain with you icon_rolleyes.gif

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:41am
post #32 of 32

mkirby!!! I swear you read my mind!! I was kinda feeling the same way about my pricing. My demand has gone up significantly and I am proud to say that this past week I belted out 7 orders single handedly while working a full time job and also taking care of my family. It almost killed me, and I will NEVER take that on again!! But I couldn't help but be proud at the accomplishment. Every customer satisfied!! I can also remember a few years back when 1 cake would literally take me 3 full days! My mom, the business guru/ my moonlighting dishwasher told me this week that I really need to go up on my pricing. I also couldn't help but feel like it wasn't justified because of the fact that I was fast and some of the cakes took me only a few hours to do. My mom laughed and said that cake decorating must also follow the laws of supply and demand. Meaning if I can't keep up with quanity, raise pricing so that demand goes down but profit stays the same.....still feel guilty though!! Us cakers are such suckers!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%