The Cake Bible

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 9:05am by KitchenKat

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 21

Anyone here use Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipes? Have you had any luck?

20 replies
JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 21

I read in the reviews of the book that some of the recipes are very finicky, I have it and I plan on trying one I just have NO idea which one I would try first!

Lizmybit Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 21

Well I have tried about 4 of the recipes and none of them turned out for me. I found myself thinking All I want to do is bake a cake...It shouldn't be rocket science!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 21

I have it and I've only ever tried one recipe from it.... The Perfect Pound Cake. It turned out just fine but just not to my taste....I prefer my cake sweeter.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 21

I made the Triple Layer Devil's Food and the Golden Butter Cream Cake. Both were fantastic. What kind of problems did you have?

mindydaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindydaile Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 21

I've been baking my way through her other book "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" and I've had mostly successes so far. She is very precise in her recipes and you need to follow them exactly as written for good results, in my experience.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 21

I use her cheesecake recipe. It's really good.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 21

Have had the book for a long time....have never baked from it....

Lizmybit Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #9 of 21

Ramie,

As I recall the chocolate cake was dry...I even pulled it early to account for carry over baking. And the Yellow cake recipe fell apart. I couldn't even frost it. I also used the baking strips and the cake took twice as long to cook as it should have

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:38am
post #10 of 21

I have it too, and gave up trying the recipes for the most part. I have heard there is a "fix" for most of the recipes somewhere? I use it for technical stuff, that is about it.

Lizmybit Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #11 of 21

Loucinda,

I have heard of this "Fix" site. Call me old fashioned...but I think if you publish A cook book you should have to have a whole other website dedicated to "fix" your recipes. LOL

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 21

I've used Rose's book since it was first published and have not had any problems with her recipes. She does have erratta on her website for the earlier printings but it is currently in its 34th printing and I think the problems have been fixed. Most of the problems were minor ones where the printed recipe directions did not match the measurement amounts.

The erratta and how to tell which printing you have are on her website.

By baking through the Bible you get a whole education on cakes, fillings and frostings. Any time I have seen someone exclaim a new technique or material as "new". It had already been part of the Bible, like chocolate modeling clay.

Here's her website
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 21

I've tried several different recipes in her book. Personally, I find them a little drier than I like my cakes.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 21

I too have found her cakes somewhat dry. And I do have a more recent printing.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 21

I have tried a few of the recipes, but gave up on the cakes.

This book is the first time I tried "Mousseline Buttercream" and was hooked on that type of buttercream from then on...so that's why I make IMBC.

It has a lot of good info for someone with more patience and wanting a more exacting method of baking than me!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 21

I really like the White Velvet cake recipe. I've had great success with it, and my clients have ordered it on many occasions.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 21

The thing that really discouraged me from trying some of the recipes was the use of only egg whites or only egg yolks.... to me it was just impractical.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #18 of 21

I also subscribe to her newsletter, you can sign up for that too from her site.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #19 of 21

I have been happy with the recipes in "Rose's Heavenly Cakes", but I use it like a text book... adapting a better technique to my recipes.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #20 of 21

I won't be without it. It is an invaluable tool and the cake tastes fantastic. I think it's my favorite present I've ever gotten.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:05am
post #21 of 21

It seems people either love or hate The Cake Bible. I'm one of those who love it. When I had a business, my recipes were mostly derived from TCB and people loved 'em.

Here's her website where you can find tweaks, errata and more information http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%