An Ode To My Campfire. . .

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 12:16am by Elcee

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 6

So I'm working on a cake that's going to have a campfire on it. I decided to go with a whimsical looking campfire and made a bunch of "curly cues" of fondant in red, orange and yellow for the campfire. I had them on a ceramic tile to dry. Since our cat loves to get into everything, (she already nabbed a "flame" yesterday) I put the tile in the oven to keep her away from it.

I think you can see where this is going.

Now I just want to say that I told hubby they were in there! He came home today and decided he wanted to cook a pizza. Yeah. He said after a while, he smelled burned sugar. Then it hit him. He ran to the oven, opened the door, and a HUGE pillar of smoke came billowing out of the oven! He said I should have seen his face. He then ran around the house opening the windows and doors to air the smoke out before the alarms went off.

I could smell the burned sugar from the garage when I got home today.

Sigh. So my whimsical campfire is a black mess on the bottom of my stove now. Along with some other fondant pieces. You know, burned fondant doesn't come off of ceramic tile.

I just wish I could have seen that pillar of smoke surround him. That might have made this all worth it.

5 replies
cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 6

Bummer! And somewhat ironic that it was your campfire pieces that burned!!! Hope it didn't set you back too much!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 6

Don't you just love cats? Why oh why do they love fondant and BC so much?! I once woke up to what I thought was a cat proofed cake that was going bald on the back side - she had licked all the BC off a spot the size of a baseball - I had to start over - GAH!!!

<---- Not this cat, his sister, he liked Mashed Potates more than anyting.

Maybe you should make a sign to put on the oven door that says

"Warning Cat Proofed Cake Decorations Inside!!"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sorry this happened to you.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, what a bummer! All that work!

I am really lucky, when my daughter moved out I comandeered her bedroom for cake stuff. Door stays closed, no cats allowed, and I now actually do most of my decorating in there.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 6

We actually have a second bedroom that's used for storage and cat stuff, but I'm planning on moving the cat stuff out to where I'm storing my cake/gumpaste stuff in our loft and use the bedroom for my caking. Then I can just shut the door. I've been wanting to do that for a while, but this was the stick that broke the camel's back. As soon as I redo the campfire, I'm working on rearranging that room!!!!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

We actually have a second bedroom that's used for storage and cat stuff, but I'm planning on moving the cat stuff out to where I'm storing my cake/gumpaste stuff in our loft and use the bedroom for my caking. Then I can just shut the door. I've been wanting to do that for a while, but this was the stick that broke the camel's back. As soon as I redo the campfire, I'm working on rearranging that room!!!!

Oh, definitely do it!!!! It's so worth it! I LOVE my "cake room". In addition to keeping the cats out, I can leave work in progress and not be cluttering up my kitchen. I have shelves and plastic drawers for all my stuff and a table to work on. The closet has all of my other craft supplies and gift wrapping supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%