Tappit Letters?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm by livforcake

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 9

how are the tappit letters and numbers set? Im looking to buy the set..are they easy to work with just fondant or do you have to mix it with tylose first?

8 replies
lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 9

Edna has a youtube video of how to use them.. she makes them look super easy. She uses gumpaste only. I haven't gotten any yet, but I am going to.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 9

I ordered these last year for a cake watched Edna's utube vid and it worked perfectly!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 9

I have used fondant with a little Tylose and I have used straight gum paste but most of the time I use 50/50 fondant and gum paste.

It takes a while to get the hang of it and you might have to make each letter a few times to get it right. But I like them and use them often.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 9

I used to add tylose to the fondant, but the cake that I just recently did I just used straight fondant rolled really thin worked just perfectly. I had zero problems. It does take some working figuring out how thin to roll it. I always roll mine really thin, cut a bunch of squares of wax paper and then I cut a square of the fondant and then cut out the letter. I let the letters dry before taking the wax paper off. I am sure that some people may have some better ideas, but that works for me.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 9

I've used them on a lot of cakes. Love them!!! They do take a little patience and I have said a few bad words... but I love the extra special touch of professionalism they add.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 9

Wish they had the plunger letter cutters that look like the funky tappits.... hmmm.... That would be awesome!

EbbysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EbbysMom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 9

A great tip that I got from Sharon Zambito is to roll your gumpaste or fondant pretty thin and then set it aside for a while to air dry a bit before pressing your tappit into it. The fondant or gumpaste pops out of your tappit much easier and cleaner using this technique.

livforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livforcake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 9

I just used these for the first time yesterday and they were awesome! After a few failed attempts, here's what worked:

I used gumpaste (no tylose) and spread it out thin over powdered sugar so it wouldnt stick. I let it dry a bit and then pressed in the letters. I also dusted the tappit itself with powdered sugar. In most cases they popped out like a charm, a few had to be coaxed out a bit with a pin, but came out easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%