Pasteurized Cream, So. Central Tx, Where To Find

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm by Cakepro

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 12

I need pasteurized cream for ganache, ice cream and a few other dishes.

Anyone know where I can find it in Hill Country, San Antonio or Austin?

There are a couple of ranches/farms near by that I can get it, but so far it's going to run $10 a quart.

Right now I'm just trying to find a store that regularly carries it.

11 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 12

Most cream is pasturized and you can get it at HEB or Walmart. I use the Heavy Whipping cream for my ganache and other dishes needing cream.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Most cream is pasturized and you can get it at HEB or Walmart. I use the Heavy Whipping cream for my ganache and other dishes needing cream.

I probably should have been more specific, I don't want ultra pasteurized cream. That stuff has been heated beyond the point that it's useless in my ganache recipes and just regular recipes.

Angie, sorry we haven't met yet, considering we don't live that far from each other. I'll try to make a point of getting to the dance studio when you're there.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 12

The cream at the grocery store is pasteurized, like CakesDivine said.

You could check Sams...they seem to have good prices on dairy.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The cream at the grocery store is pasteurized, like CakesDivine said.

You could check Sams...they seem to have good prices on dairy.

I know I can get ultra pasteurized cream every where on the planet, or at least in S Central TX. It doesn't work right because they heated it beyond stupidity. They add crap so it will whip, still doesn't whip properly. I have issues, cream shouldn't be ok after 6 weeks in my fridge. Shouldn't be ok after a week! That's why you make sour cream cookies.

I need regular pasteurized cream. Which, btw have found a source. I'll have to spend $30 and buy 2 gallons at a time and preorder and pay for in advance.

The source, Whole Foods at Quarry Market, you have to buy a case. That's 2 gallons. So far this is my only option.

Texas_Rose, I don't know who's been giving you crap. I'm voting it's all jealousy. (read the pet peeves thread)

Don't leave us! Your help is always appreciated.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 12

That's pretty funny that y'all haven't met. I thought one of you was the other and left a note on one of your cars at the Austin cake show earlier this year...but my Swiss cheese brains aren't allowing me to recall on whose car I left that note! icon_smile.gif

I was going to suggest Whole Foods or Central Market (if you have one).

I'd love to hear a comparative summary on the performance of the pasteurized cream vs the ultra-pasteurized cream. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

That's pretty funny that y'all haven't met. I thought one of you was the other and left a note on one of your cars at the Austin cake show earlier this year...but my Swiss cheese brains aren't allowing me to recall on whose car I left that note! icon_smile.gif

I was going to suggest Whole Foods or Central Market (if you have one).

I'd love to hear a comparative summary on the performance of the pasteurized cream vs the ultra-pasteurized cream. icon_biggrin.gif

Ha ha...You left it on mine asking if I was maryann...LOL!

And yes Maryann you need to get your butt to the studio, and meet me icon_biggrin.gif We have adult hip hop/jazz classes! They are so much fun!

I am giving a marathon cake class this weekend for my course 1 & 2. Will be offering a 3 & 4 in November just in time for the holidays. Lots of fun in store! I have one more spot available if you are interested, but you might be bored since you have been caking for awhile now icon_smile.gif Call me girl! Just go to my website link on here and get my phone number.

Cake Pro are you still in Houston?

Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 12

Yes'm I am still in Houston. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 12

What part of Houston? I am doing my cousin's wedding cupcake tower. August 7, so I will be down there that weekend. Would love to meet you if I can squeeze in the time icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:28am
post #10 of 12

That would be wonderful! I live on the south side, near Pearland. Whereabouts will you be staying?

cakesdivine Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 12

Total opposite area...Far northwest...LOL! Bummer, don't think I can sneak away that far icon_sad.gif I will probably be staying at my sister's in Magnolia because the wedding reception is at Tin Hall in Cypress. They got married in a small intimate ceremony a couple of weeks ago on a cruise in Galveston, but waited to have the reception when all their friends could be there. Most of the family tends to live in the NW area of town, Cypress, Jersey Village, etc. So that is where they are having the reception.

Cakepro Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 12

Oh yeah, that's like an hour away. Hopefully we can meet at the cake show then! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%