Dc Cupcakes

Lounge By RubiPumps Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 9:41am by lorieleann

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #31 of 52

I did at least like their idea for the Greek cupcake and the hibiscus/mango cupcake. Other than that, not much here. I didn't much care for how they treat their employees especially their head baker who seems to get dumped on every show with "Oh, we need 1,000 cupcakes by tomorrow and another 1300 too". He looks like he is going to quit any minute.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #32 of 52

I did at least like their idea for the Greek cupcake and the hibiscus/mango cupcake. Other than that, not much here. I didn't much care for how they treat their employees especially their head baker who seems to get dumped on every show with "Oh, we need 1,000 cupcakes by tomorrow and another 1300 too". He looks like he is going to quit any minute.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #33 of 52

Wow.....how pathetic just caught the part of the episode where they are concerned about their signature swirl. So the blonde thinks the process is a disaster because the person they are "training" who likely has never picked up a pasty bag cannot make a swirl the first time. Really just sad.

Whether or not this scene was scripted this show is not doing these women any favors. If this was not scripted and they really think that someone can just pick up a pastry bag and do a swirl (with no practice in pressure control) they know nothing about decorating. If it was scripted to create this drama, it makes them look like idiots.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #34 of 52

Did anyone catch the ganache "fire"... it was seriously the final straw for me... the girl could barely keep a straight face while she was texting.

lisamaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamaria Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #35 of 52

I like the show, but I certainly didn't know what was so special about their "signature swirl." I, personally, think it would be more interesting if they used different ways of decorating, instead of the same swirl every time.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #36 of 52

I could not agree more....this is the silliest show. Very scripted! The part that let me know this was all made up was when they allowed the dog the sniff the cupcake dog and then he jumped in the back of the van. Who the hell let's that happen!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #37 of 52

I haven't seen, or even heard of the show in question. After reading the comments I think I'm pretty glad I haven't. I will just point out though, that they could easily be members here or even just lurkers. And we certainly don't want to give them any more 'drama' that they can use to get signed on for a second season if they stink as bad as people say! icon_lol.gif

I'm just mentioning that because there have been times when someone would sort of rip a 'pro' in a thread here and didn't realize that person was a member, or had lots of good friends that are members, and it got VERY ugly, VERY quickly. I don't want that to happen here. icon_wink.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkee

I could not agree more....this is the silliest show. Very scripted! The part that let me know this was all made up was when they allowed the dog the sniff the cupcake dog and then he jumped in the back of the van. Who the hell let's that happen!!!

Producers of un-reality shows who don't know beans about the bakery industry.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I haven't seen, or even heard of the show in question. After reading the comments I think I'm pretty glad I haven't. I will just point out though, that they could easily be members here or even just lurkers. And we certainly don't want to give them any more 'drama' that they can use to get signed on for a second season if they stink as bad as people say! icon_lol.gif

I'm just mentioning that because there have been times when someone would sort of rip a 'pro' in a thread here and didn't realize that person was a member, or had lots of good friends that are members, and it got VERY ugly, VERY quickly. I don't want that to happen here. icon_wink.gif

You make a very good point. No one wants hurt feelings and resultant name calling...however, it's the show itself that's the problem! I do think it's a disservice to all professionals to be shown in such a silly light as this show. If the show improves as a result of all this honest criticism, then great! But if it doesn't and it's canceled for the same reason, then I say it's a win-win!
thumbs_up.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:43pm
post #40 of 52

It is definitely scripted. When the preist came in and "mommy" suggested they donate cupcakes to the church benefit, they acted all shocked like " oh no how are we going to fit it in".. well duh.. they were icing the God aweful orange and black things when he came in.

The cupcakes are sitting on the counter in front of them and they they are icing them when he walks in.

I don't like Cupcake Wars either!

Gosh I'm mean!

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #41 of 52

I too don't care for this show and I watch ALL cake shows. I watched about 1 1/2 episodes. I won't be watching this one anymore. It is as most of you said very scripted. (not that some of the others aren't but this is horrible)

Joanne usaribbon.gif

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #42 of 52

I think if we made a drinking game - every time they say "mommy" everyone takes a drink. I think we would all love the show by the end or at least think it's funny. I think this show disappoints because is becuase unlike most people who don't realize what is going on, we do and more! I know a lot of people who would have been completely wowed by the cupcake dog.... I've been more impressed by the logo work they did in cupcakes but that is about it. I fast forward through most of it but when it comes to reality and cake - I can't seem to help myself. Same with Cupcake Wars - I know it isn't great but I watch anyway.....I'd love to hear from someone on Cupcake Wars how "prepared" you come.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertFirstCakery

I agree with everyone. This show was awful. From the silly signature swirl to the girl who was so talented at fondant that she could roll it flat and then cut it with a dog-shaped cookie cutter to place on top of a cupcake. Seriously, if that's talent I should be making millions at this point! All I could do was shake my head and think how unbelievably lucky these women are. Doubt it lasts much longer.

I forgot about her being so talented and then rolling it out and cutting a bone and that was it. I could of done that when I was 4.

My 4-year old DOES do that! And the other thing that bugged me was how excited they got over piping grass! I told my husband, "I do that all the time, whipty-woo!" he said I was just being mean, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #44 of 52

I accidentally came across that episode and never having seen it before, I watched the last part of it.
I agree that no one that age should call their mother mommy, especially in a baby like voice. The blond needs to grow up and get her adult voice.
Poor Andres, they seem to just think he can pull cupcakes out of a hat while juggling a cake in the other hand.
Hopefully they have an established business and those lines outside weren't for the show cause it sure won't last long and they will not bring in revenue from it.
I'm not interested in watching it again.
evelyn

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #45 of 52

Good to know I'm not the only one who cringes at the word "mommy" by two adult women...637 times per episode.

The show is just filler for TV. I've not been impressed by anything I've seen thus far and I've seen all the episodes. Their projects are just messy and it's pretty much the same thing every week.

Let's move on.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #46 of 52

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I'm so glad you all feel the same way! I thought I was the only one, well, along with my sons and Hubby! HAHAHAHAHA................God bless those who think these kind of shows are entertaining!!!

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #47 of 52

Saw it and probably will not ever watch it again. It was terrible. I think they are trying too hard to make cup cakes appear to be in the same league as regular custom cakes, but what they don't know is that cup cakes are just as good as regular custom cakes.

heylovedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heylovedesigns Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:52pm
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Hopefully they have an established business and those lines outside weren't for the show cause it sure won't last long and they will not bring in revenue from it.
evelyn

Sadly, those lines are real. I've actually stood in one before I ever heard they were getting their own show, but thankfully I wasn't in it for more than 20 minutes.

They're decent, but not worth all the hype. There's a much better cupcakery just a 5 minute walk away.

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #49 of 52

So if there is a better cupcakery 5 min away, what do you think makes people want to go and spend their money at georgetown cupcake instead?

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:31am
post #50 of 52

I too live in the DC area and was excited to see the show at first. I like their cupcakes and wanted to support a local place and all... until I actually watched an episode. Horrible - the mommy thing, signature swirl, etc...ugh.... but the show is definitely doing something for their business - they were busy before the show, and the the line was ridiculous the other day when I walked by before work (and that was just there other location, not the one in g-town). Oh and the Washington Post reported today they got picked up for another season! How many more scenarios can they conjure up this time?!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #51 of 52

After I saw their mom's dog hop in the van with the cupcake dalamation for a fundraiser. I was worried a flea might be in the cupcake.

also they let their dog inside their other baking studio. I turned the TV off after that episode.

I prefer to watch Fabulous cupcakes, Cake challenge, Ace of Cakes, Wedding cake Ward, and Amazing wedding cakes and Ultimate cake challenge

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:41am
post #52 of 52

well if there is a second season I hope the production quality goes up. They let it slip in a teaser "Cupcake Sisters will be right back". So that must have been the original name for the show, but since DC is a hot tag right now, they changed it after the show was filmed. But I think Romy And Michele Make Cupcakes would work as well icon_confused.gif

and really? Do they think they need to describe twice each show what this mysterious *fondant* product is that they use? I think they are victims of poor directing and producing that forced them to make some drama (OH NO! You turned the mixer on high when i just put in cocoa powder!) and didn't know how to put their footage together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%