Dc Cupcakes

Lounge By RubiPumps Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 9:41am by lorieleann

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 52

Did anyone watch this on Friday? I could swear that before they frosted their cupcakes they poked down the center?? Is this just to get more frosting on or was there some other reason for this?

Sheila
Cupcake Learner

51 replies
Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 52

Saw the show but didn't notice that, I'll have to go back a watch again.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 52

I believe they were checking for doness.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #4 of 52

Was it the red velvet and the Valentines Day one? Because I know they were saying that Mommy? wasnt used to baking and that when she took the cuppies out that they were still raw in the middle.

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

I believe they were checking for doness.

yep, that's what i thought too.

dmenifee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmenifee Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #6 of 52

I Believe They Do Poke The Cupcakes Down.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 52

That girl that was poking was checking for doneness because she poked one and said "Oh this one is way to dry" and she picked it up and poked it again to show the other girl and she agreed that it was too done.

RubiPumps Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 52

HMMM... I didn't see the first episode. This was the second one & they were trying to teach an employee to "swirl" properly. They'd take a tray from the speed rack and poke down the domes. We seemed to be obsessed with the perfect dome here icon_smile.gif so I thought it was interesting that they didn't seem to want domes.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiPumps

Did anyone watch this on Friday? I could swear that before they frosted their cupcakes they poked down the center?? Is this just to get more frosting on or was there some other reason for this?

Sheila
Cupcake Learner

I saw exactly what you are talking about. I couldn't tell if their cupcake centers just fell on their own or if they poked them down. You were able to see it best when they were testing their colleagues frosting ability. Who knows. This is horrible to say, but I found the girls very irritating by the end of the 2nd show. If the blond sister said "mommy?!?" one more time, I was going to throw something at my TV. Maybe I was just having a bad day!!!LOL

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 52

I think it was a natural dip when it cake out of the oven. I agree, the way they say "mommy" doesn't sound like they are calling their mom. It's like her name or something. I found out later when they said that the lady is their mom. But I like that show so far.

RubiPumps Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #11 of 52

I thought the show sounded really scripted. I like the ones that sound more off the cuff. I'm sure I'll keep watching tho cuz I'm more than a little obsessed with cupcakes.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq1031

Quote:

Sheila
Cupcake Learner

I saw exactly what you are talking about. I couldn't tell if their cupcake centers just fell on their own or if they poked them down. You were able to see it best when they were testing their colleagues frosting ability. Who knows. This is horrible to say, but I found the girls very irritating by the end of the 2nd show. If the blond sister said "mommy?!?" one more time, I was going to throw something at my TV. Maybe I was just having a bad day!!!LOL

I agree with you. This show stinks and is BORING

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:25am
post #13 of 52
Quote:

HMMM... I didn't see the first episode. This was the second one & they were trying to teach an employee to "swirl" properly. They'd take a tray from the speed rack and poke down the domes. We seemed to be obsessed with the perfect dome here icon_smile.gif so I thought it was interesting that they didn't seem to want domes.

Now its not just a "swirl"...its their SIGNATURE SWIRL!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #14 of 52

OMG, we started laughing hysterically when they they called it their "signature swirl" hahahah, what a joke. They were one of the morning shows today, I wanted to slap that blonde one.

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #15 of 52

I watch all the cake shows and have to say this was HORRIBLE. My husband and kids all thought it was boring and very unrealistic. It was one of the worse scripted shows I've ever seen. thumbsdown.gif

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #16 of 52

So does that mean no one else can do their "signature Swirl" LOL Not liking this show to much!!

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #17 of 52

We were dyin laughing here too! My husband started counting how many times they said "signature swirl." I uhh...hate to tell them but...ahh...a lot of people use that swirl on their cupcakes.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #18 of 52

So glad I wasn;t the only one. I swear if they said "signature swirl" one more time I was going to throw a cupcake at the tv. Signature? Um isn't that what almost everyone does?

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #19 of 52

I saw that show too and it thought, serioursly, it's JUST a swirl!!

RubiPumps Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 52

As I troll the internet sites this Monday morning (my Monday morning regular) I see LOTS of cupcake companies doing the "Signature Swirl". Can you copyright a "swirl"? I didn't find the 2nd week any less scripted than the first. I don't know that I'll be able to keep watching this show.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 52

OK, I thought the same thing..."Signature Swirl"? Puhlease... it looks like everyone else's "swirl". This show is terrible. I liked how someome clearly poked a small hole in the pastry bag while they were trying to teach the staff to do the "swirl". Successful cupcake shop owners they may be, but successful reality show stars they are not. Completely unimpressed and bored with them already.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 52

I couldn't watch an entire episode it was so stupid. And it was particularly stupid when they were supposedly so tense about someone else being able to do the 'signature swirl' because oh my God, we can't be the ONLY ones icing the cupcakes...plus the way they faked how difficult it was. Please. I turned it off and won't watch again.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #23 of 52

I agree with everyone, the show is soooo scripted, "mommy" was making me crazy, "signature" swirl was a close 2nd, and this bugs me (with all cake shows)the busiest day of the year and they take another1000 cupcakes(or something along that line) with a unexpected order.. icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif
I did delete it from my pvr so it won't record any future epsisodes.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #24 of 52

At first I though they were calling a person by their name no just saying mommy oddly. They are too old to be calling their mom mommy in my opinion. I laughed at how particular they were about the coveted signature swirl. Seen it done a million times. Also setting ganache on fire how does someone do that? I am not a fan of the show and am going to have to take it off the list of things the dvr records. Its not worth the space lol.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #25 of 52

This is funny!! I thought it was only me and thinking how really silly those 2 women were! Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but the clergyman that came to the shop with "mommy" reminded me so much of the rabbi on Seinfeld. For anyone who has ever watched the old Seinfeld episodes, remember the rabbi who told Elaine's secrets?? I just had to laugh watching this cupcake show and then changed the channel because it became annoying.

DessertFirstCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertFirstCakery Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #26 of 52

I agree with everyone. This show was awful. From the silly signature swirl to the girl who was so talented at fondant that she could roll it flat and then cut it with a dog-shaped cookie cutter to place on top of a cupcake. Seriously, if that's talent I should be making millions at this point! All I could do was shake my head and think how unbelievably lucky these women are. Doubt it lasts much longer.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertFirstCakery

I agree with everyone. This show was awful. From the silly signature swirl to the girl who was so talented at fondant that she could roll it flat and then cut it with a dog-shaped cookie cutter to place on top of a cupcake. Seriously, if that's talent I should be making millions at this point! All I could do was shake my head and think how unbelievably lucky these women are. Doubt it lasts much longer.

I forgot about her being so talented and then rolling it out and cutting a bone and that was it. I could of done that when I was 4.

Pallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pallison Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #28 of 52

I agree with all of you....the Mommy bit was driving me straight up the wall....and the "signature swirl" was just plain stupid....but you know, I invented the shell border and no one can do it properly but me and my great aunt that lives in the Amazon....!!!

And I want to know what organization waits and orders 1000 cupcakes the day before they need them...???? The whole thing is so contrived it's ridiculous.....but I keep tuning in...go figure....

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #29 of 52

Of course they are contrived, besides the fact that all "reality tv" is contrived, it is a show about a cupcake shop---how much "drama" is there really going to be?

I must have missed the part about their anxiety of their "signature swirl"--but who can really watch an entire episode. I do agree with others, these two are completely uninteresting.

And I cannot stand how these grown professional women infantilize themselves by calling their mother in their most childlike voice mommy while at work.

heylovedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heylovedesigns Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #30 of 52

I am so glad that I am not the only cupcake person that dislikes this show!!! I live in the DC area so I've heard a lot of comments on this show - scripted, fake, and not even the best cupcake place here (they are good, but nothing to write home about).

I don't usually watch reality TV but tried to watch the first episode to support a local bakery, however this was so bad I could barely watch more than a minute of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%