Got My Cakesafe!!!

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm by Loucinda

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, I said I'd report back after my first trial run with my cake safe and I have to say it's GRRREAT!

I had a 5 tier 50th birthday party cake for this past weekend that had to travel 150 miles. Now the cake was three tiers of real cake and two seperator dummies so I had to drill a hole into the dummies first to make it work right but the real layers/cake rounds were so simple to secure. I have to say I was terrified to put the steel pole down the center of my cake..I mean I'd just spent 3 days working on this...but it went thru it like butter and it really does lock it down tight. I actually did tip the cake up about 5 inches on one side and the cake did not move at all. And the trip to the venue was EASY! Worry free! The cake didn't move at all and set up at the venue was EASY! I was also a guest at the party so I cut the cake later and there were absolutely no cracks or anything from the pole or from the trip!

Seriously...this is possibly the best $400 I've spent on my business. I deliver cakes to the same area several times a year and I sweat out the delivery every single time and hate setting it up at the venue and now I don't have to!

I know I sound like an ad...or like I work for them or something but I don't. I just went off what I saw on their site and what a couple of people on here said about it and sure enough...what they promote is true...it's a simply wonderful product.

Cat

15 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 16

Cat - Isn't it the best thing ever?? In this summer heat, the way that the cake safe is made even helps keep the cakes cool. I love mine, and I think that Scot and Julie have one of THE BEST products for the serious cake business folks. It just looks classier than delivering in a plain brown box too. Congratulations on getting one - you won't regret one second doing it! icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 16

I'm so jealous. If I had a business I would totally invest. I see it as worth one fallen cake at a minimum. I only do cakes for friends and family and delivery still stresses me out.

catlharper Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 16

Yup..like the one you have as your profile pic! I've been delivering to that area, about 120-150 miles away for two years now and I HATE it...but that's the customer pool for me so I do it. I do charge a delivery fee but in order to compensate for my wracked nerves I'd have to charge more than the cake! LOL! So this is worth every penny. If I had lost just one 600.00 wedding cake it would be much more than the 400.00 I just spent to protect it! Pretty good insurance<G> and no deductible!LOL!

Cat

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 16

Forgot photos! Here it is in the cake safe...it arrived the same exact way! You can see the final photo in my albums...I just couldn't be happier!

Since this cake was for a long time friend I was espcially nervous it wouldn't make it. Imagine how much more at ease I will be this week when it's a clients wedding cake that I'm transporting this far!

Cat
LL

Loucinda Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 16

That is a really good picture of the material it is made of...you can see the air tunnels (for lace of a better word!) in the walls of the cake safe. That is what helps it hold the temperature. They really have a top notch product! And your cake is beautiful!!

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 16

I just ordered mine yesterday and I am looking forward to getting it!!!!!!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 16

2 Questions: Do you think this would be good for topsy turvey cakes as well? Also, I guess this is also for cakes that are going to have some sort of cake topper - right? Since the top tier will have a hole in it?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 16

I can't wait to take a look at them at the ICES convention in a few weeks.

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 16

Yes, good for topsy turvy cakes...just have to find the center...or within 2 inches of center<G>. And yes, it has a pinkie finger tip size hole in the top...my cakes almost always have toppers that either I have provided (like flowers or fondant pieces) or they have provided like the little bride and groom figurines. These can be popped right on after removing the rod from the center.

Cat

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 16

That is awesome! I love your cake too! icon_lol.gif

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 16

When the cake is in the safe and you tip it , what stops the cake layers from sliding and tearing through the center pole?

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 16

Yup...and I tested it out too! Tipped it a good 5 to 6 inches and it didn't move and since i got to cut it when I got to the venue I could see that there were no problems with the cake...no cracks, no tears no problems at all.

I have to tell you, this first time I was SOOOO scared. My heart was beating a million miles an hour and after the adrenaline was flowing...LOL...I was so worried it was all hype...well, I can tell you, it isn't hype..it really works.

Cat

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 16

I've always that that was an incredible product although not yet in my budget nor requirements as yet.

What I wondered was, of those who use center doweling, does this mean that you no longer need that extra support? You just use dowels on each layer for support?

Does that center rod go through the cake and right through your drumboard at the bottom?

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 16

I don't use center doweling...before I got the safe I just transported the tiers seperately and stacked at the venue. As for the safe, yes, the dowel goes all the way thru the cake and down thru the bottom of the box creating a very solid support.

Cat

Loucinda Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 16

I have used it for cakes that didn't have a topper too. I just bring extra icing with me and a viva paper towel. After taking the steel rod out, just gently fill the small hole with icing, and then smooth it. Not noticeable at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%