Please Help...suggestions For 39Th B-Day Needed Tomorrow..

Decorating By Pagea Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm by Bskinne

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone...

I consider myself a rookie at cake decorating icon_smile.gif . I can and have made cakes with buttercream and fondant finishes. I usually only make cakes for family. I have received a last minute request from a family member that would like to give a cake as a gift to her friend (she is turning 39). Honestly, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cake/flavor combinations and or decorating ideas...as the cake is needed tomorrow icon_surprised.gif . I would like to make a loopy bow...if anyone can help. I'd really appreciate it!

TIA
-Page

8 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

In my experience, you'd need more than a day to allow the loops to firm/harden enough to use for a "loopy bow". Did you ask if the Birthday girl has any hobbies or interests? Knowing that might help give you direction.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

I would do an orange creamsicle cake an white chocolarte truffle filling and a orange/vanilla cream cheese bc (Indydebi's recipe with cream cheese sub some of the vanilla for orange OMG!).

Since you want to make a bow, how about a present cake.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 9

Bows are very hard to do if you haven't done them before and don't have adequate drying time. There are tons of recipes here, check the forum for gourmet flavors for inspiration. In regards to theme, do you know her interests? It's not really about what we all want, but what the person recieving the cake likes....

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 9

Just to throw out a little idea......how about something to do with "not 40 yet!" birthday cake??? I know when I hear "29,39,49" all I think of is "almost 30, almost 40, almost 50".
BUT, I would only do this if the birthday girl has a sense of humor!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

Your friend just said "Make me a cake" and then walked off? She offered no help on what flavors she or the birthday girl might like or what she had in mind for the party theme/decor? icon_confused.gif

I'd be getting some new friends.

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Bows are very hard to do if you haven't done them before and don't have adequate drying time. There are tons of recipes here, check the forum for gourmet flavors for inspiration. In regards to theme, do you know her interests? It's not really about what we all want, but what the person recieving the cake likes....

Good point... icon_smile.gif

*To: *Malene541
Thanks for the idea...she does have a sense of humor... icon_smile.gif

*To: indydebi
..it's actually my family member that asked for the cake icon_redface.gif ...can't always choose those. icon_lol.gif .

-with that said...I have found out she has a sense of humor, she likes almonds, has no favorite color, she enjoys hanging out with her girlfriends. Again, thanks to all that have responded...I appreciate you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagea

*To: indydebi
..it's actually my family member that asked for the cake icon_redface.gif ...can't always choose those. icon_lol.gif .

Oh NOW I get it! icon_lol.gif Family will do that to you every time!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Your friend just said "Make me a cake" and then walked off? She offered no help on what flavors she or the birthday girl might like or what she had in mind for the party theme/decor? icon_confused.gif

I'd be getting some new friends.

LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%