Fondant Smash Cake?

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm by xanikesmom

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:25am
post #1 of 17

Would this be completely totally impossible for a one-year-old to break through? I only work with fondant but I'm thinking I need to branch out, at least for this...maybe just a fondant wrapped border?

The invite is a very retro/abstract giraffe...so mom wants a 3-D giraffe for the main cake, and two smash cakes with little giraffes on top of them...isn't that too many giraffes?

She gave me creative license but I just can't picture an abstract 3-D giraffe..it would be so artistic for a one-yr-old's birthday party...

sorry, that was like 4 Q's...it's late..

lol, thanks icon_smile.gif

16 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #2 of 17

Fondant and one year olds isn't a good match. The smash cake is made for the kid to play in, get messy with and for "cute" pictures. The really "artistic" stuff should be reserved for the big cake. In my opinion anyway.

Besides a one year old can put a handful of buttercream in his/her mouth and be quite safe, not true for fondant. A handful of fondant in a one year olds mouth can be a choking hazard.

Is this a birthday party for twins? Was wondering since the mom wants two smash cakes.

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 17

i agree with mamawrombin. fondant for a one year old would not be good.
i don't think it would be too many giraffes. But if you do, then what would you put on the little smash cakes??

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 17
SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 17

Fondant on a smash cake is absolutely a choking hazard for a one year old!!!!!! Fondant is chewy and a one year old doesn't even have back teeth. I wouldn't even consider covering a smash cake with it. Be careful about using it even for a border unless it is removed before giving it to the baby. Like you, I used to do fondant only cakes because I could never get my buttercream to look better than a 5 year old could do. Then I bought Sharon Zambito's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream video. Last night I sold my first buttercream cake and it looked amazing. If you feel unsure about your buttercream skills I highly recommend the video. It truly makes a world of difference. If I showed you my before and after buttercream pics you wouldn't believe it.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 17

For the smash cake, you could ice in bc, and do a frozen bc transfer, with a gum/fon #1 standing up on top. . Google "giraffe coloring book pages", find one that you like; decrease the size to fit your cake and print in reverse (mirror image). You can find the instructions under articles or it might be in a sticky in the "How do I or Cake Decorating" forums.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeller

Then I bought Sharon Zambito's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream video. Last night I sold my first buttercream cake and it looked amazing. If you feel unsure about your buttercream skills I highly recommend the video. It truly makes a world of difference. If I showed you my before and after buttercream pics you wouldn't believe it.

I want to see the before and after pics... that way I dont feel so bad about most all of my cakes.icon_lol.gif

Im still very new to this hobby, self taught, learning everything by trial and error. icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Fondant and one year olds isn't a good match. The smash cake is made for the kid to play in, get messy with and for "cute" pictures. The really "artistic" stuff should be reserved for the big cake. In my opinion anyway.

Besides a one year old can put a handful of buttercream in his/her mouth and be quite safe, not true for fondant. A handful of fondant in a one year olds mouth can be a choking hazard.

Is this a birthday party for twins? Was wondering since the mom wants two smash cakes.

yep, twinsies...having twins myself it's probably obvious why I completely neglected the choking hazard aspect ((ughhh b/c my brain isn't always working perfectly! ughh I can't even get the explanation right!!)) (yeesh, mom of the year here!)...anyway good call, I'll reconsider this...

tavyheather Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

For the smash cake, you could ice in bc, and do a frozen bc transfer, with a gum/fon #1 standing up on top. . Google "giraffe coloring book pages", find one that you like; decrease the size to fit your cake and print in reverse (mirror image). You can find the instructions under articles or it might be in a sticky in the "How do I or Cake Decorating" forums.

awesome, thanks...I've considered this but she wants to have "little giraffes on top" ...maybe she'll consider little images of giraffes when I bring up the choking potential. Great tips, thanks!

tavyheather Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeller

Fondant on a smash cake is absolutely a choking hazard for a one year old!!!!!! Fondant is chewy and a one year old doesn't even have back teeth. I wouldn't even consider covering a smash cake with it. Be careful about using it even for a border unless it is removed before giving it to the baby. Like you, I used to do fondant only cakes because I could never get my buttercream to look better than a 5 year old could do. Then I bought Sharon Zambito's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream video. Last night I sold my first buttercream cake and it looked amazing. If you feel unsure about your buttercream skills I highly recommend the video. It truly makes a world of difference. If I showed you my before and after buttercream pics you wouldn't believe it.

good call, and I've considered buying that DVD...maybe I should after all! thanks for the response!

tavyheather Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Here's a cutie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pink_apron/3299778383/

omg that is so stinking adorable...maybe I'll turn him over on his back..thats way cute than on normal! thanks!

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 17

I did jumbo cupcakes for my ds's birthday last year as smash cakes - we had a playgroup party for 4 boys that were all due in Aug. But I pulled the fondant off after a quick pic and before they were allowed to dig in. The fondant I used was still soft tho - it was made to look like a cupcake wrapper around it, not a topper.

I think you could do the fondant topper but email and verbalize to her that it is a choking hazard and should be removed before the kids dig in. In fact if you do a contract I would have it in print and make her initial beside it. GL!

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 17

I can't speak highly enough of the DVD Perfecting the Art of Buttercream by Sharon Zambito. To see what I mean, check out my photos. The garden cake is what my buttercream looked like before the video. (After that cake I stopped doing buttercream because I sucked so badly!) The zebra cake is what my buttercream looks like after the video. Honestly, it looks like two different people make the cakes. Sharon Zambito rocks! I am so excited that I don't have to fear the buttercream anymore icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarKissesCakery

I can't speak highly enough of the DVD Perfecting the Art of Buttercream by Sharon Zambito. To see what I mean, check out my photos. The garden cake is what my buttercream looked like before the video. (After that cake I stopped doing buttercream because I sucked so badly!) The zebra cake is what my buttercream looks like after the video. Honestly, it looks like two different people make the cakes. Sharon Zambito rocks! I am so excited that I don't have to fear the buttercream anymore icon_smile.gif

wow, that's a HUGE difference! your flowers were really cute on the garden cake, tho!

I def. have the fear of it, esp. b/c I never took any classes or started with it...so I'm adding it to my list! thanks!

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 17

I don't know if someone has already said this because I don't have time to read everyone's posts. I recently made a smash cake for a first birthday party for my nephew. I iced it with bc and made fondant animals (jungle theme). Anyway, I wouldn't recommend covering it with fondant because my nephew could not chew the fondant. He put a fondant snake in his mouth and it just became extremely gummy and we ended up having to take it out of his mouth because he didn't know what to do with it once it became that sticky/gummy, but he knew he couldn't swallow it. Plus, I think it would be very difficult for a one year old to "Smash" through fondant. Hope this helps with your decision!

tavyheather Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamber

I don't know if someone has already said this because I don't have time to read everyone's posts. I recently made a smash cake for a first birthday party for my nephew. I iced it with bc and made fondant animals (jungle theme). Anyway, I wouldn't recommend covering it with fondant because my nephew could not chew the fondant. He put a fondant snake in his mouth and it just became extremely gummy and we ended up having to take it out of his mouth because he didn't know what to do with it once it became that sticky/gummy, but he knew he couldn't swallow it. Plus, I think it would be very difficult for a one year old to "Smash" through fondant. Hope this helps with your decision!

thanks! everyone had a consensus consistent w/ what you said. I have twin toddlers and never even thought of this! prob b/c w/ twins most of the first year is a blur...ughhh anyway thanks! good point!

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #17 of 17

I always do the smash cakes in buttercream. If I add any fondant decor, I always tell the mom to take them off before letting the little one dig in. Usually on the smash cakes, I just use colors schemes from the main cake with either the name or the number '1'. But as pp, you could do some fondant giraffe's and then just remind mom to snatch them off first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%