Bubble Straws At Walmart - Where?

Decorating By lovely_me Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 6:46pm by Smoothie Lover

lovely_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely_me Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 26

I saw someone mention that they can get bubble straws at walmart, so while I was there today I looked. I didnt find any. Where are they located at your Walmart? Mine probably just doesnt carry them but I wanted to make sure I was looking in the right spot (by the regular staws and paper plates/cups/etc..)

Thanks!

25 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 26

i got my supply on amazon for DIRT cheap

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 26

I've read that you can order them online. I use milkshake straws that I order thru a friend. All of the tiered cakes in my photos have McDonald's straws for supports. I had ran out of straws and ask at McDonald's if I could have a few extra, the manager gave me a couple of handfuls. I still have some of them. They are just like the milkshake straws that I order. So...you don't have to have "bubble tea straws" to use straws...

Do you have a McDonald's near you icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

KristyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyM Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 26

I found the milkshake straws at our Neighborhood Walmart Store. It carries just groceries not everything else like a regular Walmart. Our super Walmart does not have them. I bought the straws but did not use them because they seemed rather flimsy to me; however, I have not used bubble tea straws before.

I will say that McDonald's type straws seemed sturdier than those @ Walmart.

lovely_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely_me Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've read that you can order them online. I use milkshake straws that I order thru a friend. All of the tiered cakes in my photos have McDonald's straws for supports. I had ran out of straws and ask at McDonald's if I could have a few extra, the manager gave me a couple of handfuls. I still have some of them. They are just like the milkshake straws that I order. So...you don't have to have "bubble tea straws" to use straws...

Do you have a McDonald's near you icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

good to know! I actually have a stash of those already since my kids dont like to drink through straws...so whenever we go, I end up with extras!

Thanks!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyM

I found the milkshake straws at our Neighborhood Walmart Store. It carries just groceries not everything else like a regular Walmart. Our super Walmart does not have them. I bought the straws but did not use them because they seemed rather flimsy to me; however, I have not used bubble tea straws before.

I will say that McDonald's type straws seemed sturdier than those @ Walmart.

I ordered two different brands before I found the ones that I use now. They actually look JUST like McDonald's straws.

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 26

I found some at food lion where they have random stuff hanging off the shelves, I got so excited and bought all 20 bags they had. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys_Delights

I found some at food lion where they have random stuff hanging off the shelves, I got so excited and bought all 20 bags they had. icon_biggrin.gif

That's funny. icon_lol.gif I do the same thing if I find a good deal or an item that's hard to come by.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 26

I found some at an outlet store called the "Kitchen Store" if any of you have one of those close.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 26

I saw milkshake straws at HEB this week but they seemed a little smaller than bubble tea straws and a little more expensive (I get a bag of 50 bubble tea straws for 79 cents at my local asian market). They were like 20 for $1.29 or something though, still a good deal.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 26

I have to make a tiered cake for next weekend and was going to ask a question about these 'straws' everyone keeps talking about...instead of the dowels...I'm going to McDonald's today!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 26

I usually use dowels but like the idea of the thick straws. Does anyone use the super-big straws for Slurpees?

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 26

I buy my bubble straws at an Asian store in my area. There about 50 of them for 99 cents...

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 26

yes, please advise people to steal straws from mcdonalds. how lovely.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7842731

Why would you 'advise people to steal straws from McDonald's'? icon_eek.gif Like I always say. ASK for extra...they are always more than willing to GIVE them to you....no need to steal them... icon_rolleyes.gif

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely_me

I saw someone mention that they can get bubble straws at walmart, so while I was there today I looked. I didnt find any. Where are they located at your Walmart? Mine probably just doesnt carry them but I wanted to make sure I was looking in the right spot (by the regular staws and paper plates/cups/etc..)

Thanks!

that was me icon_smile.gif
I saw some packs in the soft drink aisle.and I saw some at Kroger as well.
We are in Texas. oh! any Asian store close to your home should carry these.They are usually kept where the chopsticks and noodle bowls are.
They usually run,about 99cents for a pack of 50 straws.
If all else fails you can get them from ebay or Amazon.
Good luck!
- h

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 26

Visit your local Asian grocery store they should carry them, they are inexpensive & sturdier that a milkshake straw.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:

Read closely Mariana... MamaR said she asked for them and the Manager GAVE her a few handfuls.... why stir up trouble?

As to the OP, I get my milkshake straws (same as bubble tea) in my Walmart Neighborhood Grocery in the aisle that holds misc. kitchen utensils/items such as measuring cups, spoons, thermometers, etc. I also get my skewers in the same spot, parchment paper much cheaper there as well.

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #19 of 26

oh yes, I see that now. however, let's lead the OP in the direction of professionalism and not suggest getting straws from some fast food place, yes?

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 26

I don't know if you live in an area with a Meijer store, but it's where I recently found packages of milkshake straws. There were some hanging on a clip strip by the 2liter pop bottles, and better yet.. more packages were hanging in the cake decorating aisle. I haven't been able to find them at my Walmart store though icon_sad.gif

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #21 of 26
Quote:

oh yes, I see that now. however, let's lead the OP in the direction of professionalism and not suggest getting straws from some fast food place, yes?

Seriously....you do what you need to do. If straws from a 'fast food place' support my cake and are the only option at that time, then of course I would use them. The person getting the cake isn't going to care if the straws came from McD's, an Asian store, or wherever else you may find them....but they sure as heck are going to care if their cake collapses.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:42am
post #22 of 26

I swear by my bubble tea straws. I bought them off Amazon for dirt cheap! I will never go back to dowels. I always had such a problem cutting them...

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:55am
post #23 of 26

I get my bubble tea straws off Ebay so cheap

Alysia1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alysia1982 Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 12:03am
post #24 of 26

AI'm pretty. Sure there was sarcasm intended in the post saying "please advise people to steal straws from McDonald's." she wrote "How lovely" at the end so I think she was implying its kind if rude and cheap to do that which it is. Go buy your straws with your own money.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 12:14am
post #25 of 26

I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, right up by the cash register with the impulse buy stuff.  

Smoothie Lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smoothie Lover Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 26

Try Monster Straws® at www.themonsterstrawcompany.com

Their straws are 1/2 wide and are the sturdiest disposable I have found.  They have sales and are on Amazon, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%