Butter Cream Roses Cracking

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 6:38am by Marianna46

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:34am
post #1 of 7

Made some buttercream roses ahead of time for a cake tomorrow. As I was piping my icing was not coming out smooth. The top of the petals looked almost torn. Is there anyway to avoid this and how can I fix it??

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #2 of 7

This usually means your icing is too dry. Piping buttercream flowers is a tricky business - the consistency has to be JUST right or the flowers don't turn out. You might want to thin your icing down a little bit with some corn syrup (just a smidgen at a time!) or you can use plain water (or milk or whatever liquid you used in the first place). Hope that helps!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 7

Also check the inside edge of your piping tip -- sometimes there are rough edges that break the icing -- you can smooth them off with a metal nail file.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #4 of 7

Yes, most of the time, it is from using icing that is too stiff or dry, but it could also be the result from your tip not being opened up wide enough at the smaller tapered end. If neither of these suggestions work, and you're still getting the ruffled/jagged edges, you can try using a larger rose tip (like #124 instead of #104, for example).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 7

Sounds like your icing is too dry, which is different than too stiff. Add about a tablespoon of crisco or a teaspoon of piping gel to a cup of the icing. That will make it more creamy.

Another issue is how hard you are squeezing the bag. If you aren't squeezing hard enough or piping to slowly and turning the nail too fast it will pull and stretch the icing causing the breakage on the edges.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Another issue is how hard you are squeezing the bag. If you aren't squeezing hard enough or piping to slowly and turning the nail too fast it will pull and stretch the icing causing the breakage on the edges.

That is what I was going to suggest too. Alot of times I have to adjust my pinky finger, it likes to cause trouble. icon_lol.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #7 of 7

I'm telling you, I never get tired of this place! I just learned three new things about piping buttercream flowers since my last post up there! I LOVE you guys!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%