I Need A Choc Frosting Recipe That Will Stand Up

Baking By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm by lilyankee5688

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 9

I have several choc frosting recipes, but this is the first time I will be using it under fondant. Should I use chocolate buttercream? Or my mom's old fashioned choc frosting..the base is butter. This is fro a grooms cake and I live in Alabama..lots of heat and humidity. I have heard others say they use choco ganache, I usually use that as a filling only..how does that stand up as a frosting? Maybe I am over thinking this but we haven't had a day under 96 in 3 weeks...and it is very humid...worried about using anything but buttercream.

8 replies
lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 9

I would use IndyDebi's BD recipe. Im in SC and that is all I use due to humidity. I'll add the link to it. I just add melted semi sweet chocolate, like Baker's, to taste. usually between 3-6oz. I have added cocoa powder, It was good, but I prefer the melted chocolate.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks that is what I was leaning towards...I love that buttercream. I have to deliver the cake at 12 but the wedding is a 4 pm..and although they are having the reception inside, the humidity will still get to a cake after all those people arrive. Thanks I think your right..I will make a batch tomight and tested it out..the wedding is the following weekend. icon_lol.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

it is the greatest BC ever. I use 1/2 cup Crisco and 1 stick butter sometimes and it works wonders still.. I can get it super smooth, almost like fondant.. its great.. good luck on the cake!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyoungbl00d5

Thanks that is what I was leaning towards...I love that buttercream. I have to deliver the cake at 12 but the wedding is a 4 pm..and although they are having the reception inside, the humidity will still get to a cake after all those people arrive. Thanks I think your right..I will make a batch tomight and tested it out..the wedding is the following weekend. icon_lol.gif

I add 6 to 8 ounces of Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled but still pourable. You'll also have to add extra milk because the chocolate thickens the buttercream. I add only a teaspoon at a time so that I don't alter the crusting abilities of the icing. This chocolate icing will crust and smooth just as easily as the original recipe. That's what I love about using her icing to make the chocolate. Plus...the taste is out of this world good thumbs_up.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 9

yes mamawrobin I use UNsweetened.. I had to go check.. your right icon_smile.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much I appreciate you ladies help!

Emmakitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmakitty Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 9

I am trying to use what I have on hand. I have unsweetend cocoa powder, but not the chocolate squares. If I add the powder, do I need to add more milk? I need black icing and seem to remember hearing that starting with chocolate helps getting a nice color.
Thanks!

lilyankee5688 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 9

you may need to add more milk, I had to when I use cocoa powder. it will kinda dry the icing out (my did at least) just a little more milk helped. I've heard that chocolate will make a nice black, but haven't tried it. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%