Who Here Bakes From Scratch?

Decorating By tuthfairy Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 11:00am by candyapplekc

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:36am
post #31 of 34

From scratch only. After A LOT of testing recipes, making tweaks, etc. I agree that it is a great marketing tool.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:54am
post #32 of 34

my biggest selling points was baking from scratch.. although when u spend all night decorating a cake that u wasted half the day baking u start questioning if that was the right thing to do icon_razz.gif
but in all honestly i like to bake myself and introduce new recipies

babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:54am
post #33 of 34

I'm with Gingerbread, maybe it's a European thing - I'm in the UK and I don't know anyone who uses box mixes.

I'm pretty sure we don't have the variety that you guys in the US have, but they are generally only used by people who don't really bake over here.

I must admit to using a fairy cake mix once, but it was only because it was a Mr Men one and my son begged me! It wasn't bad, but it wasn't brilliant either.

I love baking from scratch and really don't get why people think it's so hard when it only takes 5-10 minutes in the mixer to make a sponge cake batter.

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:00am
post #34 of 34

I do both but mostly from box mixes. It really doesn't matter as long as you and your customers or family likes what you do and the way your cakes taste. From experience, there's no one that can make a box mix taste the way I can. My customers love my cakes because they are always moist and the flavors explode in their mouths. My customers honestly don't care and rarely ask what I use to bake with so it's not a selling point for me. Grocery stores here buy their cakes pre-made and frozen from other companies and the store ices them when they thaw. People still buy those and some are good while others aren't.

A box mix is generally like a scratch cake in terms of ingredients like flour, sugar, flavoring etc and with a few additives. Most of us add flavoring, eggs, butter, oil, cocoa powder, whatever the case may be. So there's little difference to me. The final product is what matters most, not the method or means you used to arrive at it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%