How Do I Use Simple Syrup, Ingrediants, And Can I Carve?

Baking By chellescountrycakes Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 4:41am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

well I guess the title says it all. LOL

Okay, if I have it right, simple syrup is just something you pour over the cakes to make them more moist.

Can I carve with it poured over it? can I cover in fondant? can I cover in BC?

What is the recipe? nothing fancy, I dont have anything fancy here- I just want to make sure my cakes are moist. I've been having issues lately.

How long will they last once you do it? Can I do it today and the cakes stil be good on Saturday?

they will be stacked 3 high (2 inch layers X 3)

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 9

I have never used simple syrup on my cakes and they are plenty moist without using it. I do however use simple syrup to help my fondant adhere to my cakes. Whether I have a buttercream cake or a ganache covered cake I use the same method for covering. I flash freeze, like Sharon (sugarshack) by putting my prepared cake in the freezer for 15 minutes just before I'm going to cover with fondant. When I remove it from the freezer I use a pastry brush and "paint" on a thin coat of simple syrup so that my fondant will easily adhere to the cake.

I'm not sure about being able to cover with fondant after putting simple syrup on the cake. I suppose that it would depend on how "wet" the cake was from the syrup. Maybe someone that does use the syrup on the cake will answer the question for you.

I would suggest just using the WASC recipe if you're having problems with your cakes being moist.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

Simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio - whatever amount of water, use the same amount of sugar. Bring the water and sugar to a boil and simmer until all the sugar is dissolved. It should be completely clear. You can use this on your cakes by dabbing it on with a pastry brush. You do not want to soak your cakes. Truthfully, I never use simple syrup. I use WASC and my cakes are always moist.
Once your cakes are iced they will stay fresh until Saturday.

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks y'all! icon_smile.gif I dont knw what the problem is, about one in 4 cakes isnt as moist as I'd like.

And I'm cooking them at the same dang time. LOL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

Chelle,

I always doctor my mix by adding in an extra egg and a little more oil..this helps keep them moist. Also, I freeze every cake after cooling overnight and then fill/crumbcoat while still frozen (never put your final coating on a cold cake tho..let it sit for about 3 hours to settle and come to room temp) this method has always brought me very moist cakes. I never use simple syrup..it can make your cakes squishy.

Cat

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 9

cat Thanks icon_smile.gif

I do the freezing thing. But havent ever added the extra egg or oil. do you do that per cake mix or per batch of 2 cake mixes? and how much oil? icon_smile.gif

Squishy is what I was afraid of if I put too much, or a hard glaze coating...

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #7 of 9

I do it per mix..about 2tbs more per mix and yes, one extra egg per mix. The only one you don't want to add an egg to is the butter cake mix..it gets doughy.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 9

Everything you ever wanted to know about simple syrup:
(Including recipes and application techniques.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614752-.html

HTH

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #9 of 9

I think I fiqured out my problem. Not that the cakes arent moist. its that they dont LOOK moist to me. everyone loves them- no complaints- BUT, when they are frozen, they look dry and hard. LOL (duh) But I was carving one today and came back through a few hours later and ate a bite. it was just fine.

So i called a few friends, who I knew would tell me the truth. no dryness. just me freaking out i reckon. LOL

thanks cat- I added an extra egg per 2 mixes and 2 eggs for 3 tonight, just to see how it works out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%