Coloring Fondant

Decorating By wwood Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 10:49am by Barb00

wwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wwood Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 8

im very new at this, im attempting to color my fondant black. it doesnt seem to turn black,besides my hands,im using the wiltons coloring gel,im not sure what its actually called. thanks for any advice!

7 replies
Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

Tinting fondant black is a nightmare, or at the very least a challenge. icon_wink.gif

Many on here will say to just purchase pre-tinted black fondant and save yourself the stress. For me, if I need a large quantity of black I will make a recipe of homemade chocolate marshmallow fondant and add my black coloring to the melted marshmallows before blending with the powdered sugar; saves a headache for sure. Plus it's easier to get to black from the already brown of the chocolate. For pre-made fondant, I work the color gel in for a bit and then let it (and my hands!) rest for a few hours, then I go back to it and add more. Everyone has their own methods, you need to find what works best for you.

Good luck!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 8

If I need a large quanitity of black I purchase it. Just for accents I knead in the black in small doses to get it right. This week I'm working on a cake that has 6 and 4 inch tiers that needed to be covered in black so I bought the Duff fondant at Michaels with a coupon. I have to say, for covering a cake it was easy peasy.

wwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wwood Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 8

thanks so much for yalls advice!

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 8

Start with chocolate fondant-it takes less food color to make it black.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #6 of 8

Assuming it is now too late for you to buy pre-colored or to add the color to the melted marshmallows before making the fondant, and also too late to buy a different brand of black gel coloring ('cause I've heard that Americolor black works better than Wilton's), you can try adding not only the black coloring but also red or violet and green. It helps deepen the color and counteract any purplish or greenish tinge to the "light black" you've got.

Also, often the color will darken over time, so if you can get it close and then let it rest overnight (in a dark place, as light exposure will fade the color) you may find it looks good the next day.

Oh, and keeping your hands well coated with shortening will help you avoid dyeing them. icon_smile.gif

Holly

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:55am
post #7 of 8

I needed some black about a month ago.. I just made it myself. I made MMF and before I added the PS and started kneeding it in I added some Wilton's Black Gel. I got pitch black my first shot. HTH.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:49am
post #8 of 8

If I have to do a really dark/staining color I use disposable food safe gloves. I purchased them from a local food supply store where you can purchase bulk food items (GFS). Works great for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%