Will It Hold?

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm by rocky5777

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 3

I am facing 2 issues this am with a movie reel cake. The customer originally wanted the cake Saturday afternoon for a Sunday party. But called yesterday and wanted to know if he can pick it up Friday morning. Not a problem with time it shouldn't take to long. But....Will it hold up for that long. I took 2 pieces of fondant and dried them for the top and bottom of the movie reel. If I have the top one sitting directly on Butter cream frosting will is soften and sag? And 2nd the customer wanted pictures on the movie reel, I informed him that edible images would more then double the price of the cake, So he opted for a paper movie reel. So my fear is I will assemble and it will look wonderful, but by Sunday, the top reel will be sagging and the film strip will be soaked through with greese.

Any suggestions? icon_eek.gif

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 3

As long as your fondant is dried well enough in advance, it won't sag... especially since only an inch or so of it will be hanging beyond the cake surface.

As far as the paper goes, yes, it will absorb the grease. I'd recommend laminating it with something food safe.

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 3

What if I cover the sides of the cake in fondant.....Then the paper won't be touching the buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%