1/2 Sheet Cake Always Falls Apart! Why?

Decorating By jessiq Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm by LisaR64

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 11

First off sorry if the answer is posted somewhere. I have searched and can't find it on here.

I use box mixes, usually DH. I sit the oven at 340 and use the toothpick test to tell when done. I spay pans with non stick cooking spray. I have tried to switch to BC and Bakers Joy spay. I have varied temp and time. However it never fails, my 1/2 sheet cake always falls apart when I take it out of the pan! As soon as I flip it over, warm or cool, the top comes out and the bottom stays. I will sometimes have a small circle of cake stay on the bottom when I make rounds, but nothing like this. I am using one this weekend and yesturday it fell apart so bad it was unusable! Please help.

10 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Here's a few suggestions: lower you even temp to around 325 & line your pan with wax paper then grease the paper and sides as usual. I do not let my cakes sit to cool at all in the pans, I flip immediately onto a cooling rack - that way the grease is still loose and everything comes out of the pan. If you let it cool in the pan the grease starts to harden up and thus your cake sticks.

Hope this helps some icon_biggrin.gif

sandypins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandypins Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 11

I line the bottum of my pans with parchment paper and spray as usual. Cakes come out just fine icon_smile.gif The only time I let my cakes cool in the pan is for cake balls. HTH

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 11

I had the same suggestion as Kimmers.....I always line the bottom of my pans with wax paper. I wait about 10 minutes after taking them out of the oven and turn them out onto my cooling racks. I've never had a problem with them sticking. HTH!

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 11

I have to agree with everyone else. The parchment paper or wax paper can help with this, and lowering the oven temp can help too. I also flip mine out onto a cooling rack after about ten minutes to get it out of the pan before everything starts to harden. Let us know how it works out for you!

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 11

I use a pan coater made up of 1 cup shortening, 1 cup vegetable oil, and 1 cup flour. I have never had a cake stick.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 11

I use pan spray and never have a problem. Be sure to give it more than a passing spray, I go over the pan 2 or 3 times to be sure everything is covered.

jessiq Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 11

Okay cake is in the oven. The bottom is lined. I sprayed the pan to death. I'm in a corner with my fingers crossed! LOL!

jessiq Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 11

Drumroll please....... I have my first 1 piece 1/2sheet cake! Thank you all so much! Very new and little fixes completely fly over my head. I always assume that there is some hard complex process to everything.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 11

Yay! Congratulations!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 11

I never lined pans and really never had problems with sticking until I got my new oven. Every since then, my cakes stick unless I line the pan first. Strange....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%